• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

YellowBook/Yellow Pages - Do you use them?

lawnlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
This is soemthing I have been debating myself about for the last 2 years. ALL of the landscapers around my area have HUGE expencive advertisments in the yellow pages. So it must be working for them, or why would they be doing it?

Around here there are 2 different books. Yellow Book, and AT&T Yellow pages.

AT&t charges about 3 times more for the same ads as the Yellow Book. This year I went into the Yellow Book with some 'Average' ads, which is not saying much. It costs me $1,400 a year. I have still refused to be listed in the At&t pages because I am not ready to give up $3,500 a year for advertising in that book. Just to be listed (small company name and phone number) it costs $240 a year and no one will even see it.

I think about all the better ways I could spend that amount of money. How many door hangers would that be, I could even put up a few billboards!

Sometimes I think that these books are dying books. But then I think about who my main customer base is (elderly) and know they use these books.

What do you guys do in these books. In my town of 50,000 people there are about 30 landscapers (to many) and 15-20 of them have huge beautiful EXPENCIVE ads in the yellow pages.

KMD Landscapes

LawnSite Member
Our personal experience has been that the ads barley pay for them self. We have had full page ads all with the same results (they pay for them self and that's it) But year after year the same landscapers have ads in so it has to be working for them (I guess).

IN2MOWN

LawnSite Platinum Member
Waste of money.

BearWise Landscapers

LawnSite Senior Member
We have been listed in both yellow pages for 10 years or so and decided to cancel all of it this year. It hasn't paid for itself in the last 2 years. It is worth it to put that money into internet advertisements. You can experiment with different pay per click or standard ads and it is easily tracked. I think the yellow pages are a thing of the past.

LawnBizCoach

LawnSite Member
This is a tough one. I advertised in the Yellow Pages for many years with a couple of businesses. There was a time that it was considered "the" way to get new business.

One of my main concerns now is that there are so many different providers. We receive three or four different books each year which makes it more and more difficult to know which one would be effective.

If you can be a little creative, you are likely to be able to get a greater return on that investment with some other creative marketing.

Consider who your target market is and how they can best be reached and put some money and effort into that. Also, look at where your last 10 clients have come from and see if there is a pattern there.

One of the simplest to grow is just to personally ask some of your current clients for the names of a few friends who you could simply offer your service to--easy, low cost, warm leads.

Best of luck...

OP
L

lawnlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
One of the simplest to grow is just to personally ask some of your current clients for the names of a few friends who you could simply offer your service to--easy, low cost, warm leads.

Best of luck...
eeee.. I don't know if I would feel comfortable doing that or if they would feel comfortable giving that. However, I agree with being creative and spending the money on other things. I do think putting up a billboard would generate more customers then a yellowpages ad. I do think you at least need to be listed in the yellow pages, so people can at least find you.

All you guys are making me feel more comfortable about NOT having big ads in the yellow pages.