1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

yellowing boxwoods

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Schlepie, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

what is the deal with the yellow/orangish color on these boxwood shrubs here in Texas? Is it a deficiency, disease or just normal for this time of year. I dont remember this last season.
    Thanks

Schlep

2. Sauls1686

Sauls1686 LawnSite Member

Needs acid or iron I think. (dunno jes guessing)

3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine are doing the same thing in Okla. I think the cold weather takes a toll on them. Mine always come back well in the spring.

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Are they yellowing or getting a bronzish appearance?

If they are bronzing, then it's a natural winter thing. Certain varieties of boxwood are more susceptible to it than others. Spraying an anti-dessicant on them (such as Wilt-proof) in the late fall/early winter can help to avoid this problem.

HTH.

Dan

5. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, i believe it is a natural thing. The Korean boxwoods are pretty bad about doing that. Wintergreen boxwoods are a good variety to use. They are darker green than the other boxwoods and they stay green in the winter.

6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Boxwoods are also real sensitive to dog urine. I've seen this kill them.

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Very true. Also keep an eye on yellowing/or whitening of leaves due to white fly damage. It wont be the whole shrub, just leaves here or there.