• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

yellowing boxwoods

Schlepie

LawnSite Member
what is the deal with the yellow/orangish color on these boxwood shrubs here in Texas? Is it a deficiency, disease or just normal for this time of year. I dont remember this last season.
Thanks

Schlep

Gene $immons

LawnSite Bronze Member
Mine are doing the same thing in Okla. I think the cold weather takes a toll on them. Mine always come back well in the spring.

D Felix

LawnSite Bronze Member
Are they yellowing or getting a bronzish appearance?

If they are bronzing, then it's a natural winter thing. Certain varieties of boxwood are more susceptible to it than others. Spraying an anti-dessicant on them (such as Wilt-proof) in the late fall/early winter can help to avoid this problem.

HTH.

Dan

Doster's L & L

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah, i believe it is a natural thing. The Korean boxwoods are pretty bad about doing that. Wintergreen boxwoods are a good variety to use. They are darker green than the other boxwoods and they stay green in the winter.

Originally posted by Gene $immons
Boxwoods are also real sensitive to dog urine. I've seen this kill them.
Very true. Also keep an eye on yellowing/or whitening of leaves due to white fly damage. It wont be the whole shrub, just leaves here or there.