yes...more CDL ?????

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Viseras lawn service, Sep 21, 2006.

  1. Viseras lawn service

    Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6
    Messages: 217

    This is mainly for ct guys...who have any idea on this subject....everyone i talk to says something goes.

    F-550 GVWR 17950 lbs
    Trailer GVWR 9700 LBS

    Do i need a CDL to operate this combo?

    I think that i would need a Class A if im reading it correctly...... it says over 26001 LBS needs it.... but if the truck is empty it should be way below 26k :confused:
  2. Viseras lawn service

    Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6
    Messages: 217

    Class A says any combonation of vehicles (truck + trailer) with a GROSS COMBONATION WEIGHT RATING- im guessing this means add the truck GVWR +the trailer GVWR- Of over 26001 lbs reqiures a class A liscence

    Any one know if my interpretation is correct??:confused:
  3. Dashunde

    Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 638

    Yep, you need a class A CDL.... IF you have it licensed for the maximum weights.
    Its not a matter of how much it actually weighs, loaded or not, OR what the manufacturers say its max weight can be, its all about what it is licensed for.

    Drop the licensed weight(s) on the tags, and your fine as long as they total less than 26K.

    It's also not just a CT. issue... its a Federal DOT thing, and should remain constant from state to state.

    The exclusion to all of this is airbrakes... if a truck has them, and its pulling even a little trailer w/o airbrakes, its still a class A.
    The truck by itself would be a class B.

    CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,526

    do you even have a CDL? the law reads 26001 # GVWR that means it goes off of what it says on the door not what you sticker it for. if that was true you would see people stickering tandem axle dumps at 10k not the 54k that they usually are. also just because a truck has air brakes does not mean that you have to have a CDL when i worked in the truck shop we rented out trucks that were 25950 with air brakes all day long and you did not need a CDL.if you have ? about whether or not you need a CDL just go to the DMV and get the book they are free and have all the info that you need.
  5. Greybeard

    Greybeard LawnSite Member
    Messages: 132

    Sorry, but our friend in St. Louis is mistaken. You can't just lower the registered weight of anything and skate into a lower license class. The cops look at the VIN plate with the manufacturer's rating. We've just been through a DOT audit, and here's part of what we learned:

    1. Any truck over 10,000 GVW (per the manufacturer's VIN plate) driven anywhere requires the driver to have a DOT medical card.
    2. If you cross state lines with a truck of more than !0,000 GVW, it needs a DOT number displayed on the side. The number is assigned to the owner, and is the same for all his vehicles. You get it from the DOT website.
    3. Every state has different regulations for Class A, CDL, etc. In Mass., I drive a 26,000 GVW truck with air brakes towing a 10,000 GVW trailer with my class D passenger car driver's license. Totally legal, and that's from the State Police truck team troopers. At 26,001 lbs., I would need a Class B and an air brake endorsement. And if the trailer were 10,001 GVW, I'd need a class A. I also learned that if you're legal in your home state, you're legal elsewhere. So in New York state I"m OK at 26,000 lbs., but a New York driver would need a CDL at 18,001 GVW.

    You need to get your information directly from the CT State Police. Anything else is going to be wrong. But for sure you should have a DOT medical card to drive the F550 legally. That's federal law.

    I don't think anyone would bust you for pulling a Bobcat or similar weight with the F550. But load it up with a Case 580 or a big excavator, and you'll be in trouble. The CT cops are brutal on overloaded trucks since that guy killed 4 people in Avon last year.

    The troopers should give you all the information you need. Good luck. GB
  6. Dashunde

    Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 638

    "The troopers should give you all the information you need".
    Thats about the only accurate info amoungst all of us...

    Since we are mostly talking about an overgrown pickup truck here, I'll stick closely to that.
    I just bought a 3500 Dodge, and I bought 5 ton stickers for it here in NE since I wont be hauling anything heavy. I could have bought 3 thru 10 ton tags for it, but above 5 ton they cost more, alot more.
    YES, you can de-rate your trucks load capacity (here anyway).
    The catch here is if your over-weight, you will be fined on however much you are over the gross stickered weight, plus any over-weight axle.

    Its a mess, its always been a mess... Greybeard is right, stick to CT's State Patrol's advise.
  7. Richard Martin

    Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,699

    Also not all states use a weighted tag system. NC does, MD doesn't.
  8. Total.Lawn.Care

    Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 840

    GA does not either. The truck is either CDL required by GVWR or not. In GA, a Class B truck pulling a trailer does not need a Class A unless the trailer has Air Brakes.
  9. Electra_Glide

    Electra_Glide LawnSite Member
    Messages: 75

    Google is your searching on "Connecticut CDL" I found the following page, which answers all your questions:

    The following comes right off that web page:

    "When do I need a Connecticut CDL instead of my regular Connecticut Drivers License?
    A Connecticut CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
    1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
    2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
    3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
    4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding."

    Pay particular attention to #2. Since your trailer is less than 10000 lbs., you do NOT need a CDL.

  10. Dashunde

    Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 638

    I dunno... none of them exactly hit on his situation, because his GCWR does exceed 26K. It does not say that you can exceed 26K GCWR without a CDL, but only if your towed unit is less than 10K.
    His trailer is under the wire, but the truck pushes it back over the 26K total.
    The truck is under, the trailer is under, but combined they are over...

    I bet that #2 is aimed at ordinary pickup trucks pulling goosenecks where the trailer is way over the 10K mark, but with a normal pickup the GCWR is kept below the 26K.

    I'd still make the phone call to the CT commercial vehicle enforcement department.

Share This Page