Yet another "Going Commercial Question"

Danscapes

LawnSite Senior Member
But not the same old "estimate this for me" stuff.

I'm looking to expand into the small to mid size commercial market and my question is, how do you approach your potential GM/PM for a cold call bid? Do you do all of your calculations on your own, then schedule a meeting with them to give them the bid? Or, do you meet them first then walk the property with them and go over what their expectations are? Like I said I'm new to the commercial side and just think that most GM/PM's would rather not be bothered by every LCO knocking on the door wanting to "go for a walk". Any input?

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i dunno man...the only commercials i have are with people i know personally or someone i know referred me to them. that's the only kind i want to be honest. that way i don't have to worry about someone coming along and underbidding me for the job.

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
i dunno man...the only commercials i have are with people i know personally or someone i know referred me to them. that's the only kind i want to be honest. that way i don't have to worry about someone coming along and underbidding me for the job.
I'm like Jason's, the commercial accounts I acquired this year were either by friends or someone was getting out of doing it and I was asked to place a bid. I did notice this last year, a lot of guys renewed their agreements in June, which is the height of the mowing season where I am so the business kind of had to go with them, instead of finding someone else.

floriolandscape

LawnSite Member
But not the same old "estimate this for me" stuff.

I'm looking to expand into the small to mid size commercial market and my question is, how do you approach your potential GM/PM for a cold call bid? Do you do all of your calculations on your own, then schedule a meeting with them to give them the bid? Or, do you meet them first then walk the property with them and go over what their expectations are? Like I said I'm new to the commercial side and just think that most GM/PM's would rather not be bothered by every LCO knocking on the door wanting to "go for a walk". Any input?
Scope out the area that you're looking to bid on before contacting the property manager. Make sure its a property you know your company can handle, especially if winter applies to your area, make sure you have the right equipment, trucks and man power. Highlight areas that could use improvement and either have a rough or exact estimate of what you would charge, its better to be one step ahead then walking around with the PM asking you questions that you're unsure of on the spot. Contact the PM or visit the site and introduce yourself, drop off a portfolio of your company or a simple business card and inquire about who to talk to and if you'd be able to submit an upcoming bid. Hope this helps..