• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Yet another "how to bid this cemetary" thread.

PDQDL

LawnSite Member
Hi, I'm new to this site, but I am not new to this type of conversation. I did a search on this site for other "cemetery related" mowing quotes, but I didn't really find anything that discussed production rates, particularly for large old cemeteries.

I have a very large cemetery requesting a quote for mowing services. They think that they have 160 acres, but I have measured it at 143. They tell me that they have 87,000 burial sites, but not quite that many headstones. The whole thing is about 1/2 mile square.

I have a great deal of mowing experience, but I have never mowed a cemetery, and I do not have any idea what production rates I should anticipate. The spacing between headstones are pretty tight: ranging from 30 inches to 4 foot spacing, with each row approximately 9 feet apart on average. It is a much older cemetery, so many of the headstones are huge and ornate. Less than one fourth of the headstones are below mower height.

I know what my costs will be to run men and equipment. What I don't know is how many thousand square feet a crew of 8 to 10 men could be expected to know in a 10 hour day.

The property manager is expecting detailed string trimming and that all of the headstones be blown free of grass when completed. Mowing frequency right now I am expecting to be about 17 cuts per season. So far, I imagine that the best I could expect with all of the detailed work would be about 8K per man-hour completed., which translates to about $195 per acre.

With the property this huge, I imagine that they are expecting much better rates than that !

Any suggestions or useful tips would be helpful.

fiveoboy01

LawnSite Silver Member
It looks like you have a good handle on the numbers. You will need to decide how much it is worth to you to be able to park the equipment in one spot all day. $195/acre certainly won't fly as you already said, hell I'd bet you'd be lucky to get half that.

How do they want to be billed? Full season price divided by x number of months, or per cut?

T avery

LawnSite Member
this describes the cemetery I mow to a T. except that mine is 15 acres with 1/5 of the area being completly open. I have mowed this for past two years of consistent rain. each mowing averaged 17 hrs on a 60 inch ztr and every other mowing we trim, which takes 20 man hours with really good equipement to do a nice job. we do not blow the grass off the stones (by agreement). hope this helps. T

OP
P

PDQDL

LawnSite Member
They were not specific. They are unhappy with the current company for poor quality and allowing the grass to get too tall.

What I can't understand is that the property manager didn't know how many cuts he was getting per season.

This looks to be a HUGE contract. He claims that it takes 8-10 people full time to keep it mowed. And they weren't apparently keeping it mowed well enough.

OP
P

PDQDL

LawnSite Member
That helps a lot. Do you have any idea how many headstones you are tending?

How much are you charging them? Was it a competitive bid, or do they like you?

That's 38k per hr mowing, with 32K per manhour for the string trimming. That is MUCH faster than I was anticipating. That would translate to 7.5 headstones trimmed per minute on my project. All day long? Where do you get help that good?

T avery

LawnSite Member
I do have good help on that, this is the only mowing contract I have and I hire one guy to do it and this is all he does for me. it looks like you and I are in the same state and I would be glad for you to visit me 2.5 hrs from KC and you can see the cemetery and I can show you exactly how many hours it took. the first year i lost a few dollars on it since I paid for all the equipement in one year, the past year i made it all back and am going to purchase a new exmark just for that job ( should go faster). this is a city cemetery and it was a competitive bid that i have at that price as long as I want it.they like what I do for them and I don't try to make it complicated for them. I mow and trim and they pay. i meet with the cemetery board each year to get decorating schedules and feedback and that's it. it is not highly profitable but worth while.