1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Yet another "rainy day project"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Sep 1, 2004.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Man i have so many of those its driving me crazy. but here's another to add to the list....

The 17 Kaw twin on the w/b has alot of gaskets that seep oil and just generally worn alot of hours on it. good motor and good money maker but i got a sweet deal on this that i couldn't pass up. it's a 17hp twin kaw same as on my w/b but electric start and recently professionally rebuilt. So someday i gotta swap 'em out.

17kawes.jpg

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

you know how to rig it up to charge the battery yourself, or do you bring it to the shop for them to do it? i toyed with that idea, i forget, someone has something like this on here, maybe wriken??
    how do you go from recoil to electric and charge the battery, after fabricating a battery tray?
    i just realized, i'm a lawnsite addict:blob3:

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

oh it has an alternator on the engine. the wiring can be a bit complicated on it yes. hard to explain... sounds like you'd be better off having a shop do it. really it's far better to get an engine equipped with the starter and alternator than try to convert one. Just easier and cheaper usually....
    Yes wriken put a 18hp Briggs electric start on his 36" MTD hydro w/b. Just wait and you'll see how i do it :) i'll post pics.

4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i have a hardly used 18 - 20hp on a murry lawn tractor. was thinking of slapping it on my 48" bobcat(but the kawi runs fine), or my forever project 32" Kees. i might have already spoken to you about it awhile back.. it has the starter/alternator on it, but that pesky wiring!

5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

you gonna leave the deere logo on it???? :D !!

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Uh, prolly not LOL............................. is this 15 characters now Sean???? man i am tired of that!

7. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, i dont know how you find the time.

I am maintaining 20 lawns and have 3 landscape jobs backed up. More than enough to keep me busy, let alone all these little projects you do.

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

i work my hind end off thats for sure. i work to about 9:30 or 10 at night outside... still don't know how i do it myself sometimes. think i need to slow down sometimes then think, nah i enjoy it i'm a workaholic :cool:

9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Eric, You sure do like to keep busy. That is a good thing if you keep everything else balanced. Get that thing changed over.

Gravely_Man

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Hey I might be able to swing on by and give you a hand. I work to hard. The only time I slow down is when I go to my college classes in the morning. Thats usally when I get my sleep. LOL