Yew and chain vs skid steer

94gt331

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yew wins!
It was one of those days I said: what if or I should have many times, oh well a expensive learning experience.

DSCF0258.jpg

DSCF0260.jpg

DSCF0262.jpg

YellowDogSVC

LawnSite Gold Member
what is a yew? A tree?

OP

94gt331

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yew is a evergreen shrub, there root system gets very big after many years and almost grows like a stump of a tree underground making them hard to pull out at times. Yew's are very common here in our area and where very common plantings maybe up until 10 years ago, now alot of our customers like having them cut or pulled out. Here's a couple pics of some yews, also a pic of there root system, in that pic we are getting ready to grind them out.

DSCF0475.jpg

DSCF0937.jpg

DSCF0936.jpg

DSCF0991.jpg

OP

94gt331

LawnSite Bronze Member
This is why I dislike Deere..... There is no way that should of happened.
Posted via Mobile Device

The guy that works for me today had the same thing happen on a case machine just plowing snow. And yeah it happened on my friends deere backhoe, it just never happened to me before. But I can understand we where putting to much stress trying to pull it out with a chain. Would of tried digging it out but it was above a small retaining wall we couldn't get up there.

JCLawn and more

LawnSite Fanatic
The guy that works for me today had the same thing happen on a case machine just plowing snow. And yeah it happened on my friends deere backhoe, it just never happened to me before. But I can understand we where putting to much stress trying to pull it out with a chain. Would of tried digging it out but it was above a small retaining wall we couldn't get up there.

I could understand plowing if you hit sonething solid, but unless you tried hitting it full out, that should not happen. If you were backing up your lift arms should take the stress
Posted via Mobile Device

OP

94gt331

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'm not so sure that is a Yew.

Your not sure, i see your from sc, maybe it looks different in your plant zone, these pics are deffinatly yews, we work them often here in pa. And there are alot of variety's of yews here as well.

OP

94gt331

LawnSite Bronze Member
I could understand plowing if you hit sonething solid, but unless you tried hitting it full out, that should not happen. If you were backing up your lift arms should take the stress
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah needless to say they broke, like I admit, operator error probaly has alot to do with it, abuse, maybe, like you say maybe it's just a deere thing:laugh:

Top Forums