Yo Ric, St. Augustine Geru, and others

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Sep 1, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I put down another palette of St. Augustine. Didn't get the name of the culivar, but probably common St. Augustine in SC. Some of the grass is fine in the full sunlight but under some of the trees it seems to have almost died. It has died back to a thatch-like quality with nice shoots of St. Augustine coming back up through the die-back. Nothing except water irrigation has been put on it. After first seeing what was happening, I shot it with a little fungicide (T-Storm).
    What would cause this? PH in the fall was 6.8. Like I said this was put down about Mid-July.
    Thanks,
    Roy

2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

probabally floritam, it wont grow well in shade. There are some cultivars that they say grows well in the shade, ie common, palmetto. If it gets no sun its a 50/50 shot it takes or not.

3. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i got some flortam under some big oaks i have it grows okay but its not as thick as the yard in full sun

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Your sod supplier should have asked you if it was for a shaded area or not, I know mine does each time I buy from him. Floratam works great if its in full sun, if not in full sun such as under a tree then you need a different cultivar.

5. RAlmaroad

from SC

I called the YB in South Carolina. He want me to call back on Tues. so he can call the sod farm. Shucks, we're just lucky to get any sod locally. I'm thinking that it is common Palmetto. The stuff that is coming back up through the dead stuff is really pretty and will spread--just wondering why it would act that way.
    I first though brown patch but the regrowth ruled that out. It was coming up even before applying the T-Storm fungicide.
    Thanks, and any other thoughts?
    Roy

6. RAlmaroad

from SC

Hello:
    Just got hold of the sod farm on the St. Augustine cultivar. It is "Bitter Blue". Farm said it did well in the shade, so I ask him why it had died back drastically and then put out the shoots. Of course, he didn't know. Any other theories or causes.
    Thanks,
    Roy

7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric has banned from this site many many times for inappropriate behavior .
    Because he has not been around in awhile makes me think this is why .

8. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

i thought of this to, but i think the influx of basic questions that get asked everyday, ex. how do you make grass green, how do you kill weeds, just drove away many of the more knowledgable people, like them or not, they have alot of beneficial knowledge:)

9. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Ric can be quite the grump, eh? He has little patience (tried to get some of me more than once lol) and not too kind to fools. But...he's about the sharpest tool in this shed. I hope he hasn't been banned.

10. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

the last time i talked to him which was last week he was out of town...he didn't say when he was going to be back