1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

"You didn't kill all the weeds in my lawn"

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawncuttinfoo, Jun 5, 2007.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

"And I'm not gonna pay you until they are all gone"

Got this call today on a one time spray of a 75% weed 25% grass lawn. Talked for 10 minutes and realized there was no way to talk rationally to her.
    I will call tomorrow and tell her I am sorry for not explaining better to her that I my weed control program will not take care of 100% of the weeds, that she can recycle the invoice, I will call it a complementary service and wish her good luck in the future. She was a walk up when I was doing a job and I didn't have her sign a contract (stupidly)

What would you do?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

LawnCutting

I suggest you go back and kill all her weeds. Sahara should do the job nicely.

3. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Any disclaimer on the invoice? I had a handful of customers over the years to deny payment in lieu of additional service but most have been reasonable. I give no guarantee on 1 app. only. I explain to them that it is a "program" and requires multiple apps. for complete control. I never say "kill" regarding any app. other than a vegetation control with something non-selective such as Glyphosate. I also expalin to them that if it only took 1 app. to control all weeds and make the lawn healthy and green I would bill them the equivalent of the number of apps. required and goof off the rest of the year. Usually they understand it when I explain it that way.

4. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Only if hitler was applying it, right?
    imazapyr and diuron=sahara
    Good for this job but not for the other guy's bamboo problem?:confused:
    Just curious. Depends on the mix rate though.

5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

I send them a couple of post card with "PASS DUE!" in bold type so the world knows they are dead beats.

After that, I turn them in to a collection company that fires off four collection letters.(www.olddebts.com) About $18.00 per account.

Half the time I get my money. Either way I get satisfaction and move on.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Honda Guy

This post was tongue in Cheek. I wouldn't honestly recommend Sahara for any thing.

7. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: Pickin up what your layin down.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Rice Burner

I have been known to lay it down real heavy, as dumping it. :D

9. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

garydale (FYI):
    if your post card says PASS DUE, you're doing yourself a disservice, it should say PAST DUE.

10. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like that would only confuse anyone who reads it.