• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

You know it's a customer you probably don't want when...

Darryl G

Inactive
I screen my customers over the phone pretty well now. So here are some things I've learned...feel free to add.

You know it's a customer you probably don't want when:

• They tell you the lawn mower is in their shed
    They tell you they will leave the money under the door mat
    They tell you they will call you when the lawn needs mowing
    They ask if you'll need a ride
    They tell you that they'll mow it themselves every other week
    They tell you they never do spring or fall cleanups

What did i miss?

MikeKle

LawnSite Platinum Member
I love the ones that say things like...When your mowing, keep an eye out for bricks and/or chains out in the yard! Yeah, thats always a good thing to hear when you are unloading your new $6K mower!! How about mowing it monthly? Gotta love those ones that tell you they will call you when it needs mowing!! It is around the middle of May and they call you and say it hasnt been mowed yet this year, and would like a quote!! Or..You can use my old craftsman riding mower if you want!... Why dont you use a 21' mower, they cut better than those commercial mowers! And to top it off, I actually had some guy come out and say he has never seen anyone riding on "that plate" before, he was referring to my 2 wheel velke! I guess he must have been living under a rock for the past 15 years?!

brucec32

LawnSite Platinum Member
They want you to mow it with their mower.

They call Thursday evening and want it mowed for the first time Friday.

They barely speak english. (good luck explaining the concept of "preemergent" to them)

They ask your price for their lawn over the phone, based on their vague description of it.

They mention that you can swing by Wednesdays from 4:45 to 5:30 to mow, otherwise the gate will be padlocked.

mike174

LawnSite Member
I screen my customers over the phone pretty well now. So here are some things I've learned...feel free to add.

You know it's a customer you probably don't want when:

• They tell you the lawn mower is in their shed
    They tell you they will leave the money under the door mat
    They tell you they will call you when the lawn needs mowing
    They ask if you'll need a ride
    They tell you that they'll mow it themselves every other week
    They tell you they never do spring or fall cleanups

What did i miss?
They tell you their "lawn guy" just left for college

OP
D

Darryl G

Inactive
Oh yah, I got a call from one in the fall. They wanted the whole place brought back into shape. This was a beautiful 8k sq foot house converted from an old barn. The place was really overgrown and when I asked how it got to be like that, I was told it was because they were in court with the last landscaper and so they couldn't touch anything. Then they told me that if they didn't sell the place by December the "relocation company" was going to take it. I did a "no bid" on it!!!

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
They give you grief because you cost more than their last LCO, AND............they have to be home every time you are going to be there, and they are way under retirement age and there are expensive toys parked in the garage or driveway. Go to work, get a job and do not cry poor to me when your truck and all the Bling Bling on it costs more than mine.