1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

You too can become ... a ... "SPECIALIST"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kutnkru, Jun 26, 2001.

  1. kutnkru

    kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,662

    This was an advertisement from Tru-Green Chem Lawn in our local paper:

    LAWNCARE – The Nations Leader Truegreen Lawncare. F/T Lawncare Specialists Available. will train, Sal. $325/wk +commission & Benefits. Must have valid drivers Lic. Call … for more info or www.truegreen.com EOE/AA M/F/DV

    I think that it’s rather amazing how an applicant can become a “SPECIALIST” thru a Company training program that consists of 2 weeks training maximum. Yet for those diligent owners who have Lawn Care Companies if they have not apprenticed under a “Certified” LCO for a period of not less than 3 years they are ineligible.

    The drawback is of course that you will lose the “SPECIALIST” title and certification upon dismissal or resigning from the Company. I just think its kind of ironic that such a sought after title and knowledge can mean so little when you talk about it through the eyes of Corporate America. Yet, if you have a brain, have worked hard to protect the environment through proper Horticultural Practices since you were in HS, you are still not eligible for the privilege of applying chemicals in a safe, sound, manner according to NYS Lawmakers.:angry:

    Just another LAW that makes you scratch your head and say “Huh???”:dizzy:

  2. LoneStarLawn

    LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,415

    I agree... Just a note thought here in Texas you do not have to work under someone for 3 years. The first year you just study and take the test. Each year that you need to recertify you have to have a certain amount of credits from taking classes.
  3. kutnkru

    kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,662

    Yes, you need the credits here as well. 22 in fact, to retain your Certification.

  4. In PA you take the core test then the lawn test. It's not real hard.
    The tree and shrub one is much harder for there are so many types of trees and shrubs and very one has a specific critter that eats them.

    Then you get insurance ($400 yearly solo) and send in about $30 bucks for a pesticide business license and $25 for a Certified applicator

    They don't set the bar real high in the commonwealth. The more guys they can license means more people that have at least the minimal
    education and insurance so if the do screw up the homeowner will
    not have to pay for the damage.

    The state ag dept sends us a list of canaries (hypersensitive must notify b/4 applying within 500 ft) every three months.
    There are only about 7 in my whole county and I don't even work in
    any of those areas.
  5. KirbysLawn

    KirbysLawn Millenium Member
    Messages: 3,485

    A friend started a lawn business this year(who didn't) and his title on his card is "Lawn Specialist". I spoke and asked about Iron, he asked "what's that for", I asked about brown patch, "what's that", I said I assume you have not applied any Bayleton, of course "what's that?"
  6. kutnkru

    kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,662

    Sounds to me Ray like he obviously slept thru the 2 week Masters Degree Home Study Course offered at your local TGC-LMAO:p

  7. David Gretzmier

    David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,645

    most guys that have thier "agent" card and work for a liscensed applicater don't know what anything is, but they know they are supposed to fertilize and spray the addresses on thier list and leave the invoice on the door. yes, most of thier lawns look good. also strange, they don't know what they are spraying. Dave g
  8. TJLC

    TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,308

    That's one thing that kills me. There are "licensed" people out there spraying chemicals that have no idea of what they are doing. I have a strong desire to learn, take the course and test and do a good job. Unforunately here you must have at least 3 yrs in the lawn/landscaping business to even test. I'm about 6-8 months short. I have to pay a "licensed" company $300.00 per month to spray my commerical properties and have to contiuiously call them back out to re-spray. Go figure.
  9. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    Trugreen Chemlawn will tell there sales reps. "We are NOT a lawn service company, we are a MARKETING company." I believe this to be true since they put a whole lot more into their marketing efforts than they do their their turf care.
  10. Fallguy

    Fallguy LawnSite Member
    Messages: 95

    here - if your licensed to do landscaping you can go hire any joe off the street to do the work for you - they make about $45 a hour satrting here and pay there mexicans about $5.50 or so and hour to do the work for them - sorry - i just think that the ones actually doing the labor should be the licensed one.

Share This Page