You win some you lose some

Scagget123

LawnSite Member
Hey I'm in Florida too. I did a bid for someone on next door , said $110 a month including round up and monthly hedge trimming. This dude says the last guy did all that for $80 . Hell no, not me!!!

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
all i got was a couple of dead end jobs from there. one wanted me to clean out her gutters but never responded to my text when i asked what her address was. another wanted me to pull out weeds by hand in her flower bed for $10/hr....so i got nothing from it. :laugh:

OP
Steve

Steve

LawnSite Bronze Member
all i got was a couple of dead end jobs from there. one wanted me to clean out her gutters but never responded to my text when i asked what her address was. another wanted me to pull out weeds by hand in her flower bed for $10/hr....so i got nothing from it. :laugh:
Give it time, I picked up a $140/month job :D

GRANTSKI

LawnSite Silver Member
And here I dropped $120 per mow lawn cuz it was underpriced (2 acres). Glad I know never to try starting up in Florida. But question are any of yalls customers in higher price ranges ? Here it seemed once I started pricing well above $30-35 per mow ...I priced myself right out of (most) problem customers and cheapskates.

OP
Steve

Steve

LawnSite Bronze Member
And here I dropped $120 per mow lawn cuz it was underpriced (2 acres). Glad I know never to try starting up in Florida. But question are any of yalls customers in higher price ranges ? Here it seemed once I started pricing well above $30-35 per mow ...I priced myself right out of (most) problem customers and cheapskates.
Yes. I have one that is $170/month. Strictly mow and blow, he does everything else himself. If I were to do more I could easily charge him $250-$300 per month. I have another guy, $140/month and I could easily charge him $225 if he lets me take care of the hedges. The $140 guy could get to that point. Last year I supplied mulch for him and he spread, this year he wants me to do it so I'm quoting him I think $450.

Killavolt

LawnSite Member
My last 3 quotes were interesting. I got 1 out of 3, #2 is pending, and #3 is a definite no and I'm ok with that.

Potential #1. Thursday night I get a text from a lady saying she seen me on Nextdoor and that I do lawn work, wants me to check her yard out meet with her. I tell her that I bill in advance and I only accept check or CC and if she is ok with that I will schedule. Never replies back so I ask Friday morning if she wanted me come for a quote. She says no and proceeds to tell me that she found that offensive, she's a 58 year old woman with excellent credit and says she will follow through with appointments she already made. I said OK, and I meant no offense and explained my reasoning. I found a comment she posted on Wednesday in response to somebody looking for lawn care, "Unfortunately I keep looking for someone just to do basic maintenance on my yard and can't seem to have someone who can keep their same schedule and attend to my yard as if it were their own so I wish you a lot of luck."

Potential #2. Saturday, lady calls wanting service, tell her prepayment check or cc only. She says not a problem see you Tuesday. I show up, she tells me her guy hasn't come around in a while and he not responding to calls/texts. She has a large yard, about 1/3 of an acre of turf on corner lot, about 800' of edging, some hedges taking about 5 minutes, and non mulched beds in the front and back yard wants to keep leaves out. So I bid for 41 visits a year and eow bed raking and bid $200/month. She cringed when she heard that and I'll be honest I did too as I have never gone that high bidding. She says that was about $70 more than what she is paying now. I said ok, I can rake the beds once per month so now your price is $160. She still questioning this price so I ask her how much she was paying before, I think she said $130/$135. I was like yeah I can't do that. $160 firm. She then ask well can you do $150? Told her no because if I was just mowing only you have a $45/cut yard and that equates to $153/monthly for 41 visits. Then she brings out the big guns and ask "well how much biweekly and maybe once per month in winter?" Sigh, $130/month when there are 2 visits per month and $175 when there are 3 visits.

I later consult with another lawn guy I am friends with on FB and long story short based on pics he would have been around $170. So being I was at $160 I feel a little more comfortable with my bid compared to what a successful guy with 3 employees would have bid.

Continuing on with this post, yesterday I tweaked my Nextdoor personal profile to make it look like a business profile. Bam, it works.

Potential #3. They see my ad on Nextdoor and I get a call. Current lawn guy quit showing up. During the bidding and talk, I accidentally overbid and went $135. They said their current guy is $105. This is a corner lot and I tell them yeah I can't do that. So they tell me they have another guy coming to quote also. I leave and go about my business and I started thinking something didn't sound right. Called the lady and said hey I gave you wrong price, I meant $125. She said she see ya on April 3rd for the 1st cut.

Later in the evening I get on Nextdoor and simply reply to my ad "Thank you Mrs. X I look forward to doing business with you." Even though she never commented on it, I did and it bumps my post to the top of the feed.

An hour later I get a PM on Nextdoor. "I live in Bent Creek and we're looking for an outstanding company to maintain our yard please give me a call XXX-XXXX Anytime tomorrow after 8 a.m." It's potential #1! :laugh:
Thinking what kind of response would do the least amount of damage against me I reply back "Ms. XXXXXX, I will have to decline as you have already declined my services this past weekend. Best wishes to you. Steve."

Going back to potential #2, I feel like that's a perfect example of the doing something wrong if you get every bid, doing something right if you don't get every bid. However, if she does happen to call me back, not sure if I even want to take her. Maybe take her until I can replace her with a more dependable customer?? What's your thoughts?

I wonder if you could do me a favor and break down your pricing for potential #2. I'm starting to get into lawn maintenance myself and trying to learn more about pricing and bids etc.
How did you come up with your number?
What is your hourly rate?
How do you know how many visits per year you'd need?
What happens if you need more or less visits per year for whatever reason?

If you don't want to post it publicly you can pm me, I'm just trying to learn a few things, nothing sinister.

BigJlittleC

Banned
Easy way is to estimate the time to complete. Then use your hourly rate to give a price. Make sure to pick a minimum amount to charge no matter what. For example a minimum of $40 with an hourly rate of $100. All jobs 25 minutes or less will be $40.

The amount you charge that covers all your overhead, pay, and profit.
Try to sell weekly or every other week visits. Then just count the number of weeks of your normal growing season.

You decide before hand if the person is buying a set number of services or a more as needed service. Your the one who is making the rules so you can have them pay for 40 cuts. That's what they get or you can charge them a set price to cover mowing as need at a rate no more frequent then weekly. The price can be the same but one your cutting 40 no more no less. The other your cutting maybe 37 or 42 times.

OP
Steve

Steve

LawnSite Bronze Member
I wonder if you could do me a favor and break down your pricing for potential #2. I'm starting to get into lawn maintenance myself and trying to learn more about pricing and bids etc.

If you don't want to post it publicly you can pm me, I'm just trying to learn a few things, nothing sinister.
Pretty much what BigJ said. As for how many visits you need, I am in Florida and lawn service here can be year round, you can tell who is going to want year round service when you pull up for a quote. I try and sell year round service which is weekly April - Oct and biweekly Nov - March. There's also a lot of yards that are biweekly service and don't need or want service in the winter. A lot of people here don't take them, I don't mind as I am still growing.

As for coming up with a number, once you figured out how much you need to make per hour and come up with the price of a yard, I take that price and multiply it by 41 visits and divide it by 12 months. That's just mowing. If hedges need to be done I factor that into the monthly cost.

Top Forums