• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Young Kids and Mowing?

sildoc

LawnSite Silver Member
So what do you think about the age at which one has to be to really mow alot of lawns. I think it really depend on the person. Any ways to my little story. I received a flier today, second one this year so far, so I call the number to see what the deal was.
I get mom and ask for Zach (person who left flier) and ask him for price of mowings. Over the phone he quotes me seven 7 dollars for frount or 7 dollars for back and 10 for both. Hmm. I educated him a little and gave him Lawnsite to further his education. He is twelve by the way and It is nice to see a youngin out trying to make a little money rather than siting at the mall eating off mom and dad. What would you have done?

3blades

LawnSite Member
ya thats awsome,,glad you encouraged him.not enough youngsters willing to work or earn anything.thats one major thing missing in our youth today.

last year i trained a few people on a 52 hydro with a velky and it was frustraaiting.the one person who actualy got the point of having one of those machines on a lawn was 15.best help i had all season,hell be back this year.........hes my little bro......i told him it was in his blood we were made to cut grass..lol:alien:

Let it Grow

LawnSite Senior Member
That's awesome. I maybe this kid will be a big landscaper someday.
A friend of mine started a lawn care business in Redmond, Oregon when he was in the 8th grade, I worked for him when he really needed help. He started out with just a mower & had his dad take him to all his lawns, and after about two years he had all commercial grade equipment, a decent s-10 pickup, and a nice trailer. Then for some dumb reason he got into trouble & let his business go to pot. I can just imagine where he'd be now!
That is a great area to live/work!

BKupfer

LawnSite Member
Great encouragement Sildoc, it was truely nice to hear. My boy is almost 12 and for the past 2 years he has mowed grass for the neighbors when they need it, $15 here sometimes $20, he is looking foward to getting out there this spring and trying to make some money.