1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Young Tree

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by Mason2016, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Mason2016

Mason2016 LawnSite Member

I planted a young tree back in May and a few of the leave have fallen off. The tree is still alive but want to give it the most nutrient that I can. What product would you guys recommend?

2. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Platinum Member

What kind of tree is it and where are you located?

3. OP
    OP
    Mason2016

Yoshino Flowering Cherry. Central Kentucky

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

OK, The drip line is the line that extends to the ground at the outermost width of the tree. Use a balanced fertilize such as 10-10-10 (Ag stuff is good) Use about 1lb/inch of trunk diameter spread just inside and outside of the drip line. That's were the feeder roots are located. You might want to put a good layer (1 foot thick) of straw up around the trunk and base--I'd even put a loose layer up the trunk and onto the graft (If grafted and most are) and wrap a loose piece of tree wrap around all of that. BUT TAKE IT OFF AROUND ST. PATRICK'S DAY as the spring sun will harm it also. Keep it watered in the winter also.
    In Kentucky, winter winds are very rough on young trees as their bark is so thin. I'm just down here in TN and I always protect my young apple trees with the straw. Wind burn and frozen bark will kill even 5 year old trees. Error on the over protective side.

Mason2016 and hort101 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Mason2016

I will do that this week. Thanks for the info.