1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Your Advice Please......???????

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by abcfamily, Oct 5, 2007.

1. abcfamily

abcfamily LawnSite Member

O.K.
    :confused:

So weather permitting I would like to do the following to my yard this year:

1.spray trimac clasic; I'm told the best time to apply is just after the first frost.

2. Aerate; if we ever get enough rain to soften the ground.

3. over-seed...??? if I can't aerate am I wasting my time and $$$, also how much seed do I drop on the yard??? It is an established yard just not as full as I would like to see it.

4. How far apart does the trimac / over-seeding need to be???

and lastly

5.how long to wait after over seeding to put on winterizer???

Thanks a bunch for any advice you can give me!! :usflag:

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

It is getting pretty late to seed. You might get away with it, but it is real risky considering we may actually cool off this fall.

I am not sure about the time period with the Trimec, likley it will depend on which Trimec you have. It should say on the label.

I would not even bother trying to spray, wait, then do the aeration and seed. It will be to far out, unless you really wait to seed, and do a dormant seeding.

Since we know nothing about your lawns needs it is hard to give advice.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. If you are facing a winter with possible drought, go with a dormant seeding and see if you get lucky in the spring.
    For that purpose a slit seeder may work out better than an aerator, and hold it off incase you go into 2 weeks of warm wet weather.

4. abcfamily

abcfamily LawnSite Member

Anyone else?.....Bump!!!!!!!!!!!