1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Your best referral story.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaclawn, Oct 20, 2000.

1. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

What is your best referral story, one job that led to another, and another...

Mine all started one snowy morning at 5 a.m. A man stopped me in one of my lots, and asked about doing his a few doors down. I stopped by after finishing, and we came to an aggreement. I continued to plow and salt his lot for the rest of the season.

In the spring, he called, wanting to know about some clean-up and mulch work around his building. On my site visit, he asked about some work at his home. I got the cleanup at the building, and a clean-up/mulch job at his house. I also got the lawn renovation at his house, and total maintenance there as well.

Since then, I have done a landscape install at his building, and some other smaller jobs. I am headed over tommorow for a landscape install at his home.

He refered me to his brother, for a lawn renovation. Got that one as well.

He also refered me to his father, I got the maintenance, fert, clean up/mulch there as well. Later in the season, I did a complete new lawn for the father, (infested with zoisya), and subbed out removal of three trees. I also supplied and installed three new trees on that site.

From the father, I got two new high dollar weekly maintenance accounts. Neighbors.

I now have a bid out with another neigobor of the fathers.

The origional buisnessman that flagged me down refered me to one of his clients for a mulching job.

All totaled, that one meeting in a snowy parking lot at 5a.m. equaled $10K. That is just this year.

Can anyone top that?

2. davesgs75

davesgs75 LawnSite Member

i drove thru a subdivision, having my youngest son hang out the window and put flyers on the mail boxes. This lady calls and i price and get the lawn.

she refers me to her daughter who lives 5 doors down.

Then i get the lawn right in front of her(the original lady).

then she refers me to the lady 3 doors away(also got a commercial lot from this lady).

her daughter fefers me to a man around the corner.

then i picked up another in the same subdivision.

then the original lady refered to her church to cut a lawn for a elderly couple where the man has cancer, the church is paying for my service.

one day while i was mowing there a lady stopped asking if i would cut her mothers lawn right behind this house.
    i don't know the total dollars, but if i counted right thats 8 lawns.

i am now seeing if i can bid on the church yard. if i get it the whole congergation could be potential customers.

i love grass cutting!!!!!

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the way I get all my accounts. Word of mouth is the best advertisement in this biz.