Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the absolute best ingredients, and at what ratio for a compost pile?

I have some land behind the shop I can use to make some compost, and I have all the machinery needed to turn and add to it available there too.

For free, I have access to Chips, Leaves, and fresh grass clippings. I know there is more, but I get lost with all the talk here. Manure? Sheetrock for lime? Veggies (if I can get them)? Fish? What else?

Please go easy on me!

If this is posted elsewhere on the site, please delete this thread.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am really going to try this out! I have the space, it will be a project transporting it, but oh well.

I figure I will use grass clippings, leaves, small amount of wood chips, coffee grounds, and maybe some sheetrock.

How far does this cook down? Say if I wanted a 10 yard yield? Should I start with 20 yards of material? I know this is a small pile to some of you! And how long is it good for?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heres what I am aiming for........

10-15 yards of leaves and grass clippings.
2-4 yards of chips
5-10 lbs of coffee grounds
MAYBE 1-2 sheets worth of sheetrock if I can find it

How much water and when? How often should it be turned? is it OK to add items after I have already started the pile? Like veggies, newspapers, more coffee grounds, etc etc?

Thanks for the help! I will be starting my first pile this week, just have to get the grass and leaves from the Landscaper next door.

Even if this pile doesnt turn out to be the BEST, should I still put it on my lawn?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Heres what I am aiming for........

10-15 yards of leaves and grass clippings.
2-4 yards of chips
5-10 lbs of coffee grounds
MAYBE 1-2 sheets worth of sheetrock if I can find it

How much water and when? How often should it be turned? is it OK to add items after I have already started the pile? Like veggies, newspapers, more coffee grounds, etc etc?

Thanks for the help! I will be starting my first pile this week, just have to get the grass and leaves from the Landscaper next door.

Even if this pile doesnt turn out to be the BEST, should I still put it on my lawn?
sounds good!keep moist 50% water ??? just dont let it get to wet or dry.if it gets cold turn if it gets real hot turn if its 2 weeks turn!!!adding after is ok as long as it gets finished+135+deg for 3 days, and or turned 3 times!!Its real hard to foul up a compost pile, your 10000% ahead of most composters already!!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Most Sawdust works great mixed with the grass clippings...Its very high In Carbon ,Also straw mixed with those grass clippings...Old corn stalks also high In Carbon. I try to mix a ratio 20-40:1 C:N
Just a reminder...make sure you cook the weed seeds...some run Into troubles later on down the road when they spread compost on lawns thats not cooked.
One more tip...keep the grass clippings out If they have been treated with a herbicide.
Best of luck with your new compost Idea:usflag::canadaflag:

Daner

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do I still have to cook grass clipping that MAY contain weeds? I will be using grass clippings from the landscaper we rent to, and our own woodchips that we produce. The leaves will also be from the landscaper next door, and coffee will be from Starbucks. I will have to ask the local building center for some damaged goods, thats a great idea!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.