1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Your Neighborhood

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skmodmsl, Oct 14, 2004.

1. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

I was wondering how many LCO's were operating in your neighborhood. Also, do any of you service any of your neighbors ?

I live in a small neighborhood. Most people take care of thier own yards. There are 5 different LCO's servicing my neighbors.

Just curious as if any of you service neighbors. I prefer to keep a low profile. I prefer just a wave and knod or word hello to my immeddiate neighbors. Both of whom have different LCO's. I prefer to leave business apart from my private life.

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I go out for awalk almost everyday and this morning I passed 5 different LCOs in one neighborhood. All of them doing resientials and overseeding. When I came back through 4 of them were gonw and people had several different door hangers. The last guy always uses the gravel in th eplastic bag with a business card in it trick and tosses one on everyones driveway when he leaves a job. There's on eempty house that has 3 or 4 of his ziolocks on the driveway.

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to say that someone else can do my neighbors lawn care, but who else can do as good of a job as me?
    Well no one to be exact.
    I do the total lawn and landscape for 1 of my neighbors and he is my best customer and a real good friend.
    We both know how to keep business and personal matters seperate. Besides, he always pays like a rabid slot machine and I do everything I say I am going to do for him.
    It works out well for both of us, plus I get an added bonus, no travel time, plus he pays 165.00 a week for lawn mowing of his property, plus bush, tree trimming, weeding of landscape beds, fertilizing of lawn and landscape areas, etc,etc,etc.
    payup :cool: payup :drinkup: :waving: :sleeping:

4. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

hay Premo you trim bushes and trees every week. why does it need it. or just when they actually need it

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There are 2 other services that work on my block. One scrub that shows up once a month to cut the house at the far end of the block and a 2 man crew that cuts the county pumping station. I am currently servicing 3 others on my block.

In my entire service area (5 miles from my house) there are 5 LCOs including me. The area has about 3,600 or so houses. We also get about 5 or 6 LCOs that come in from outside and do a little work.

6. WigginsLandscaping

WigginsLandscaping LawnSite Member

It may be just me but I avoid neighbors, friends, and family. I don't feel right charging family and friends. I have always had problems doing this. Neighbors are the same way. I just wouldnt feel right about taking money from them or i end up going so cheap that I end up paying them to cut their yard. I tend to be too nice at times and I know that this is something i need to overcome. Just my 2 cents. I try to avoid them. You can always drop a customer. But it is not that easy with neighbors, friends, and definately not family.

7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

There are probably 5-6 companies working in my neighborhood. Like skmodmsl, I keep a low profile. Most of my neighbors don't know what I do for a living and I like it that way.

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok!! I agree with family and friends, per say, but this neighbor is not asking for a cheaper price, he wants a professional full service. That is what I offer and that is what I do for him. He pays well for my professional services.
    I forgot, there is a scrub that does the other neighbor's lawn and it is like 4-411/2 acres, he does it with a worn out 36 inch crapsman like homeowner rider. The job looks like cr@p all the time. Yes this neighbor has approached me and I bid it, but he is getting a less expensive lawn service and it shows.

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I pretty much stay out of my neighborhood. I may give advice to my immediate neighbors, but I usually say no to the work.

10. cfosceola

cfosceola LawnSite Member

there are 93 homes in my neighborhood, i have seen 6 other companys in here, i service 6 of them sometimes 7, 3 of the six are directly across the street from me all in a row, that makes it real nice and the seventh is right next to those three, it is an older couple that has a son in the army and he mows it when he is in town and i mow it when hes not. I offer my neighbors a slightly reduced rate since i can pull out of my driveway and start working. I am friends with all my neighbors and there is never any conflict between buisness and friendship. Just wish i could get more so i wouldnt have to drive that much.