• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Your old stuff

TURFLORD

LawnSite Senior Member
Ever see any of your old stuff out on someone elses crew. Specifically old trucks you thought were junk?

Jpocket

LawnSite Silver Member
Alot of my "Stuff" is someone elses old stuff, all rebuilt and going strong.

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
I see 2 of my pickups all the time...sold them to friends of mine.

impactlandscaping

LawnSite Silver Member
We have sold several pieces of equipment to other LCO's.This one guy has been using our old commercial Snapper 21's w/ Wis.Robin engines, for over 3 years now. For some reason, our trucks have all ended up in Maryland when sold:D

lawnboy dan

LawnSite Platinum Member
my old 85 ranger which i bought for 300$ and drove for 2 yrs as a backup truck. i gave it away 3 yrs ago and saw it still running last month. that old pinto 4cyl engine in it just wont die

TURF DOCTOR

LawnSite Silver Member
We try to sell our mowers and ope when it is still pretty much new and trucks also.

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
I see our old stuff every day...it is our trucks and trailers and mowers and trimmers that I repair and keep in the business. I am proud that I can keep the old stuff going for our business. Don't get me wrong we buy some new stuff each year but the old stuff is backup....like the 2 32" Scag WB we have and several Echo trimmers and blowers.

meets1

LawnSite Gold Member
I have sold my old stuff to other LCO's in neighboring towns. But by old I am talking about 3-5 years. It's not like I always buy new but when other LCo's ask about any equipment I might be interested in selling - I think, 1. I need a fair market price - usually better than trade in. 2. Can we afford a new 10K mower. 3. I trust our old stuff but what if day two an engine blows???? Usually our small handheld stuff we keep until I put half the money into repairs - then I buy new. Mowers - i have sold several to local people with larger yards cuz they know we keep our equipment in great shape, they get a great used moer with a great price I am able to upgrade our fleet.

Brianslawn

LawnSite Silver Member
ed2hess said:
I see our old stuff every day...it is our trucks and trailers and mowers and trimmers that I repair and keep in the business. I am proud that I can keep the old stuff going for our business. Don't get me wrong we buy some new stuff each year but the old stuff is backup....like the 2 32" Scag WB we have and several Echo trimmers and blowers.

same here. our oldest walker is from '98. i have sold two old back up trucks and one trailer, though. we are all mechanicly inclined and our trucks go over 200,000 miles. oldest truck i still have is '90 with 250,000+. new engine and tranny, though.

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
ed2hess said:
Makes a lot of difference on the bottom line if you are lucky and can effectively do this.