Lawn Care Forum banner

your price on 12 acres

5K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  LIBERTYLANDSCAPING 
#1 ·
I would like to compare my price to others and if you don't want other people to see your price you can PM. Thanks I'm putting in a bid on 12 acres. So here is what I want to know What is your price for 5 app of fert and weed control. Than a price on one grub control. Your price on spraying three app of a fungicide. I just want to compare my prices to others to see if I'm to high or low. Thanks

#2 ·
about 10-11K on the regular fert and squirt
about 13-14K for the fungicide(really depends on the brand though)some are cheap and some are high as heck. we price differently for different fungus as the products vary so much

#4 ·
What is the setting of this 12 acres?

Commercial or Residential

Here is my question

Why would anyone want 5 app on a 12 acre property and ESPECIALLY grub control?

Depending on the situation...I would probably recommend about 3-4 apps and NO grub control.

#5 ·
RC, Are most of your properties unirrigated? I'm further North than you & 4 apps just doesn't work out well for most properties. (Most are irrigated) I use 50%srn products & color falls off & is very dollar spot & red thread prone if doing less than 5........ Of course, we have <2% TTTF around here-KBG is a Nitrogen hog:dizzy:

#6 ·
RC, Are most of your properties unirrigated? I'm further North than you & 4 apps just doesn't work out well for most properties. (Most are irrigated) I use 50%srn products & color falls off & is very dollar spot & red thread prone if doing less than 5........ Of course, we have <2% TTTF around here-KBG is a Nitrogen hog:dizzy:
Very little irrigation here...and no large properties are irrigated that I take care of.

I get by more then fine with 4 apps and anymore is really a waste from a feeding standpoint. We have a wide variety of grasses here but even at that...I am still putting down 4# of N a year and using all slow release N.

#7 ·
Commercial, It's was sodded last yr with fescue and is all irrigated. Why with the grub control. They ask for it in the bid and it's going to happen sooner or later with the grubs. This place was sodded last yr in Sept and by early Nov was hit with Take all and brown patch bad. So I don't know of many yards that never need to be treated for grubs at least once a yr or every other yr.

#8 ·
Very little irrigation here...and no large properties are irrigated that I take care of.

I get by more then fine with 4 apps and anymore is really a waste from a feeding standpoint. We have a wide variety of grasses here but even at that...I am still putting down 4# of N a year and using all slow release N.
OK, The little irrigation makes all the difference-of corse, soil profile does too... 95% of mine are irrigated & many are on sandy soil, better yet, good percentage are younger lawns. My personal 2.5 acre lawn gets 3 apps a year & that is plenty! But it is not irrigated & on clay soil.

#9 ·
Commercial, It's was sodded last yr with fescue and is all irrigated. Why with the grub control. They ask for it in the bid and it's going to happen sooner or later with the grubs. This place was sodded last yr in Sept and by early Nov was hit with Take all and brown patch bad. So I don't know of many yards that never need to be treated for grubs at least once a yr or every other yr.
12 acres of irrigation....would hate to see their water bill!

If it is irrigated...then I maybe can see why they would grub it and go 5 apps.

That is unheard of around here of any prop over .5 acres to be irrigated.

If it were here I would tell them to save their money and then when we get hit with grubs about every 5 years I could go in and see the couple K's that were affected.

If they would take the money from grub control over that time...they would still be way ahead! Some places are willing to role the dice and some will pay anything for overkill and a perfect lawn.

Good Luck!

#15 ·
12 acres from a truck mount boom is about $2000 per application straight fertilizer. Fungicides or insecticides are around $1000 and herbicides go for $250-1000 depending on which weed. Grassman, you would definitely come under my fee schedule as well.

#18 ·
Really. $2000 would barely cover straight urea and amine weed killer for 15 acres 4 rounds. I would be making nothing.

#21 ·
Tru Green's price doesn't sound much different than what they do here. They are just over $100 an acre.
I wouldn't work for that....but I could still make good money at $100/ac.

I can pull in there and spend about 4 hours and make more then most do in a day doing 30 small lawns. I would still gross about $250/hour and get a lot of area covered quickly! That is my true game and it has done very well for us!

If I can keep my costs down and run effeciently and still NET the same or MORE as you, don't be pissed at me! :)

If I could buy cheap like I do, and charge what you do I would retire young...but it sounds like you are all in a very good market where you can charge whatever you want...but if I had to bet you are also probably paying 20-30+% more on your inputs from the prices I have been hearing!

Does this all make sense!

You can't tell someone on here that they are "too cheap" or "too high" because you don't know their true costs or their market!

#22 ·
oh good, thanks for the reassuring notes, was wondering for a minute there!

rod, it all depends on costs. i agree with you, i know markets vary widely. i get the best pricing in my area without ordering in higher numbers(which i cant, dont have the need or storage space). the cheapest place for the best products. i guess to be mmore competetive on a large bid like that, it could be advantagous to get the much cheaper all mineral or close to that fertilzers. i just dont like using that, except for seeding sometimes or very deficient soils.

#23 ·
i guess to be mmore competetive on a large bid like that, it could be advantagous to get the much cheaper all mineral or close to that fertilzers. i just dont like using that, except for seeding sometimes or very deficient soils.
My prices reflect SRN on every round except R4.

30%PPSCU on R1 with Pre
50%PPSCU on R2
50%PPSCU on R3
All Mineral on R4

So you get better prices when you don't buy in larger quantities? :confused:
I get the best prices...and usually save about $2-4/bag from what other guys around me get, but I have to commit to 60 ton to get that price!

The other thing I like about HAVING IT IN MY BARN is the fert market can do whatever it wants and I have FIXED my input prices. Two years ago there was a lot to be said for that! I want to know my input costs if I have already set the prices for my customers!

#24 ·
Rodney, How are you getting 15 acres done in 4 hours?
More than one operator?
No cleanup?
No flagging?

My pricing is not just about price of materials or production either.

I live in an area that you would fall over if you knew the cost of living. You own your farm/barn/storage. I cant TOUCH anything zoned commercial that would allow me to store my materials for less than 1-1.5 million. and we are not talking multiple acres, that is 1 acre with a small building. So we rent, and it is not cheap.

I cant charge whatever I want, the market will only bear so much, but I CANNOT charge less than 150-175 per acre no matter the service, I would not be around very long.

#25 ·
Rodney, How are you getting 15 acres done in 4 hours?
More than one operator?
No cleanup?
No flagging?

My pricing is not just about price of materials or production either.

I live in an area that you would fall over if you knew the cost of living. You own your farm/barn/storage. I cant TOUCH anything zoned commercial that would allow me to store my materials for less than 1-1.5 million. and we are not talking multiple acres, that is 1 acre with a small building. So we rent, and it is not cheap.

I cant charge whatever I want, the market will only bear so much, but I CANNOT charge less than 150-175 per acre no matter the service, I would not be around very long.
The original poster said it was only 12 acres.

With my Z..I can do anywhere from 3 -3.5 acres/hour.

Depending on how the property is laid out that would be using one machine and another guy backpacking and blowing.

As far as you talking about storage costs...that is where I was going. If my overhead is less (labor, storage and product etc) then I can charge LESS and still NET more then many that are having to charge $200 per acre.

What does FLAGGING mean? I am not sure I have heard that term before.

#26 ·
i think he means posting signs, some areas have harsher requirements, and even call aheads. ouch!

rod, i meant i get really good prices for the quantity i order, and the cheapest supplier.

i have shopped around and ended up with who i use as i kept finding cheaper prices. plus the service is outstanding, that says alot. now, when we finally get storage containers, we have the ability to stor muchmore and will surely be able to get good pricing. my comments on the cheaper fert realy just emphasizes the abilty to price lower if i used them, and explains also some of the pricing differences(along with all the other obvious items) in a given market. there are a few guys that beat me on price every time, but they use cheapest ferts and weed controls, and it shows. for an area that large, it may be best to do this kind of thing, for all parties invovled for cost factors. but if i had to mow behind it, it would be the slow release only for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.