Lawn Care Forum banner

your shop size

10K views 45 replies 32 participants last post by  Zackster 
#1 ·
I'm looking a building a shop for storage/repairs. I'm thinking a 3000 sqft place with 3 14 foot roll up doors(2 on one end and 1 on the other - allows for drive through).

Any recommendations on size or additions that you would want? I'm just worried about basic construction now. I'll add shelves/work bench/air compressor lines etc and a later date.

#2 ·
it all depends on how much equipment you have. And what you want inside opposed to outside. My shop is 7500 SF with a loft...Couple baths and office area but thats not included in that number.
I store my equip. inside and outside in the Fenced yard. My Mowing equip. Is ALL stored inside. All trailers stay outside for the most part...

Plows& box stay inside on racks
Love it in the winter because we can service the trucks without freezing outside. My truck stays in the shop all the others that can fit do too....all the others stay outside.

Its nice to have/ What i have is:
A hoist
Loft
PALLET RACKS- Like costco or Sam's Club
HUGE Compressor and hose line/outlets
Tool boxes. And more!

#8 ·
Yes, pallet racks are very helpful. I used some to make a mezzanine in my shop. The door is 12' wide and I got some racks with a 12' beam. I now have a 12x15 mezzanine that I can drive under. It takes up virtually no extra floor space but I now have an extra 180 sq ft of parts and tools storage. I had to put some plywood down because the wire shelving was too springy but since I did that it is very sturdy.

#9 · (Edited)
Not to tell you what to do but I'd suggest better check with the local zoning regulations and make sure you're up to
the county (or city) standards and specifications first, otherwise you could find yourself with a building outside of code
regulations and suddenly one day some real nasty inspectors show up at your place, make you tear it all down or what
else, could end up costing you thousands over budget.

Then, your property...
Specifically, the property the building is going on to...
Has to comply with zoning regulations as well.

I mean, again, it's your business and I don't care what, or how you do it.
But it is something I would recommend checking into, all that local code and government regulation and zoning ordinances and all of that.

That having been said...
My shop and storage area's 1200 square feet.
More than enough for me.

#12 ·
Thanks guys. I have found a piece of land and need to sit down with the country planner to figure out what zoning I need to be in and get it changed. I just moved housed and lost access to my barn. Now I'm stuck in a rental mini storage unit!!

I'm a small operation with 3 mowers, a ride on sprayer, and ride on aerator. I'm thinking around 3000 sq ft with 3 roll up doors and wash/toilet. I can always expand the building if I need to.

#13 ·
I'm going to move in with some of you with big shops:waving:

I have a double garage with 7-8 extra feet to the side of the doors and a 10X12 shed for stuff I rarely use/ parts stuff. I have a 10,000 sf lot with rv parking, but the layout is like a messed up triangle from bizarro world so it's a squeeze to get my small truck back there or I would definitely build a shop. (If zoning permits, topsides).:dizzy:

#14 ·
Sorry just remembered something else!
its good to have extra space inside so u can store salt inside in the winter! I usually store about 50 tons on my floor. Then just scoop it out as needed. In addition i have 2 5000 liquid storage tanks filled with Liquid cal./ Brine... Last year i had one inside and one outside since they dont freeze.

In this case the bigger the better!

#15 ·
I am on my third shop the first one was 3000 sq ft with doors on both ends was nice at first but with growth and expansion the drive through door caused major congestion issues. The next shop was 5000 sq ft with a door on one end and the other on a side that one really did not work well. The new is 10000sq ft. and has 5 doors on the side and one on each end of the building this one works great. We keep all of our trucks and trailers indoors works out nice in the summer and winter everything can be worked on inside in its own area. We store all of our snow plows up on racks and the fertilizer under the snow plows works out great. Our irrigation bay they have there own shelf for parts. Everyone is in charge of their own bay keeping it clean. It also has a 2000 sq ft. office area which is also nice I really do like my new configuration with my new building. Good luck

#16 ·
I have just one bay in my attached garage on my house. My wife won't give up her spot. If I need to work on a mower, everything is out in the driveway. I do have compressed air on a hose reel, and a 110 power cord on a reel, both right overhead and they help a lot. Trimmers and tools on racks on the walls. A small rolling tool chest for mechanic's tools. The best thing I bought is a giant wall mounted fan, awesome splurge, so nice on a hot Saturday changing oil. And I dug up an old stereo with giant speakers from the 70's to keep me distracted. Next will be a little overhead hoist to just crank up the mowers easier for blade changes.

#17 ·
if your parking trucks inside go wideron the doors then you expect we havent been in our building long but i have learned its a tight squeeze with 8' wide trucks and 12' doors when you dont consider the 9' width at the mirrors.

If i could chnge things on my shop of 3000 sqft it would be More doors as well i would go 14' doors all the way down the side for backing in trucks and trailers and after seeing the pics i am considering high racks

#18 ·
I am on my third shop the first one was 3000 sq ft with doors on both ends was nice at first but with growth and expansion the drive through door caused major congestion issues. The next shop was 5000 sq ft with a door on one end and the other on a side that one really did not work well. The new is 10000sq ft. and has 5 doors on the side and one on each end of the building this one works great. We keep all of our trucks and trailers indoors works out nice in the summer and winter everything can be worked on inside in its own area. We store all of our snow plows up on racks and the fertilizer under the snow plows works out great. Our irrigation bay they have there own shelf for parts. Everyone is in charge of their own bay keeping it clean. It also has a 2000 sq ft. office area which is also nice I really do like my new configuration with my new building. Good luck
Speaking of congestion I just remembered My FIRST Shop! It was Big thought i was a Big shot now...I was 19yrs old! it was prob. 1500 Sq Feet my dad said i couldnt have my equip. in the garage anymore.

LAyout Of your shop is EVERYTHING! My shop was perfect for me i thought...
But later i found out it wasnt! I couldnt back in a single trailer without wreking something! I had to dolly my trailer in everynight! (See pic below)
You need something you can Drive straight in and straight out....

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

#21 ·
My shop is 6300sq ft. There are time it is small for all the stuff. I have 5 14 x 14 doors with openers, one walk in door. In Floor heat, wash bay area etc. I just bought some racks which are awesome and I would like to buy another couple sections to fill in the void. I cant seem to find any pcitures now but I keep looking or go take another when time permits.

#22 ·
My shop is 6300sq ft. There are time it is small for all the stuff. I have 5 14 x 14 doors with openers, one walk in door. In Floor heat, wash bay area etc. I just bought some racks which are awesome and I would like to buy another couple sections to fill in the void. I cant seem to find any pcitures now but I keep looking or go take another when time permits.
Is this so that your @$$ doesnt get cold in the winter when you're servicing your plow trucks??? :laugh:

#23 ·
Is this so that your @$$ doesnt get cold in the winter when you're servicing your plow trucks??? :laugh:
In floor heat actually can reduce your heating costs. If you have in floor heat you can actually run your heater less and/or turn down the temp and still be comfortable.

Its way cheaper to heat the building to 62 in the winter than 70.

#24 ·
In floor heat actually can reduce your heating costs. If you have in floor heat you can actually run your heater less and/or turn down the temp and still be comfortable.

Its way cheaper to heat the building to 62 in the winter than 70.
oh thats cool....But I thought you could only do that to tile floor...Like in a bathroom. Would that work for an existing concrete floor?

#25 · (Edited)
I like the pics of your shop cuttin to the max. I would say that is my goal in the future to have a nice clean shop like yours. I love the warehouse rack ideas.It:cool2: Saves space and keeps your plows clean congrats.
Just so you know, those are not his racks, shop, or plows. That is my picture I've posted a couple placed on the internet, the guy who posted it must have taken it from somewhere.

Not that its a big deal, or really matters, I just like to see credit given where its due! :drinkup:

I buy those racks at a used surplus material handling company, pretty cheap for how useful they are. That picture is from my old shop, and at one point I had 80 linear feet of pallet racks that held everything I own. I have a new shop now, little different set up, with only 30 linear feet of racks (even though the new place is bigger, I no longer have one 80ft wall). Also, I buy the 48" deep racks. From what I've been told, the standard size is not that deep, but these 4' ers are great for the spreaders and plows..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.