• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Your thoughts on this project?

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
The Arkansas River flooded last year and destroyed a lot of properties. This house is on the bank of the Arkansas River. The only plantings that survive were these palm trees. It’s otherwise a clean slate. The boulders you see are actually geological pieces — petrified wood, crystals, opal, fossils. They have placed these pieces and have several other pieces that they want to implement in the design.

I’m focusing first on evergreens. The owner likes Emerald Green arbs more so than Italian Cypress, but she is not married to that preference.

plant varieties I’m considering include abelia, distyllium, inkberry, Emerald colonnade holly.

what other thoughts do you have? Scale is my biggest challenge. This property could handle some sizable specimens.
E1BB0FF0-DB5F-4D1B-9745-3DB286810923.jpeg
3FB2D03D-E9D2-4F90-B43A-91F076E5F62F.jpeg
401A61CD-A17C-4248-B4B1-5BC1DD5920DC.jpeg
111124F1-CB2E-4152-A446-F8C3403F3A44.jpeg
BF61AB69-1C0D-41A4-A2A2-8F8AE5E47705.jpeg

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
i love abelia just remember the variegated ones are going to get lost against that color of house. you'll need something dark/green behind them for them to show up.

OP
H

Hotty Toddy

LawnSite Senior Member
i love abelia just remember the variegated ones are going to get lost against that color of house. you'll need something dark/green behind them for them to show up.
Yeah. I’ve decided to go with arbs (her request), Shi Shi Gashira camellias, lime mound spireas, a couple pillar Althea for starters. I like Cranberry Creek boxwoods as well and hope to use them.

rclawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
It might just be me but it looks weird how all of the blinds are closed.