Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Rs5175, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Rs5175

Rs5175 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, just wanted to run this by some owners out there. I have been with the same lawncare company going on fourteen years now. Before that I had my own lawn mowing business that I started in high school and just kept running with it. Ran it till about six years ago, decided I couldn’t be 100% to either business and gave mine up. Anyways two years ago I had a job offer with a school system, would have been a little less money but obviously retirement and insurance which I don’t have with the company I’m with. I do like what I do and I really respect who I work for. He gave me a raise to keep me with the possibility of taking over when he decides to retire. I am on salary through the year, also he pays me overtime when I work over 40. I handle 80% of the day to day tasks as far as scheduling and getting things ready. I do all of the general maintenance on all the trucks and equipment. I am a licensed applicator and also handle 100% of snow removal by myself. We only run one truck, which a typical 2” snow event generally takes 10 hours to run. Other than my weekly check I am not compensated for snow. My question is, at $17.50/hr would I be out of line to ask for a raise. It has been two years since my last raise. I am well aware of wage differences from state to state, and that eventually there may be a cap on salary. I am in central Ohio. I feel that I am worth more, just wanted some insight from some other owners out there and what their thoughts would be if approached with a similar situation. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to put as much info as possible.

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

What are jobs in your area for the same position offering if they list a price range in there ads ?

When is he planning on retiring?

Whats to say when and how, also price for buy out?
    what are the arrangements for you to take over?

Tara Ann likes this.
  3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Chicago

Doesn't hurt to ask. If your boss sees and knows your worth I won't doubt another kick. But you couldbe at his cap now who knows. I would have a sit down and get a raise or at least a path to one.

Tara Ann likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Rs5175

Rs5175 LawnSite Member

That’s where I am kind of stuck, we have not had a discussion on the possible buy out since he mentioned it to me when trying to get me to stay. As far as other companies, I really don’t think I’d leave him to go work for someone else doing the same thing. I would probably try and start my own thing again, if an agreement couldn’t be reached as far as taking over.

5. OP
    OP
    Rs5175

Rs5175 LawnSite Member

That’s where I am kind of stuck, we have not had a discussion on the possible buy out since he mentioned it to me when trying to get me to stay. As far as other companies, I really don’t think I’d leave him to go work for someone else doing the same thing. I would probably try and start my own thing again, if an agreement couldn’t be reached as far as taking over.

6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

I was just suggesting to see what the going rates are in your areaThumbs Up

When i first read your post my first thought was theres no guarantee of getting the business so I would not let that be a main influence on your current pay
    It sounds like you have a decent job with year round pay and hes paying your employee costs in addition to your wage as a owner thats all on you

Tara Ann likes this.
  7. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Senior Member

Communication is key. Talk to him. If you don't ask he could assume your happy and not offer up anything. On the other hand if he appreciates you and can swing it he probably will take care of you. Maybe present it like "hey I need to make more money can we work something out?" Maybe if it's not a raise he could do a bonus or two when things get kickin so it's not all year and in the slow months (a possible concern with him) but still more money for you. Good luck!

Tara Ann and hort101 like this.