Your worst chemical spill?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Digitaria Sanguinalis, Aug 16, 2019.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to get off track but about 20 some years ago I ran fuel oil in the winter to homes.. while doing this..I was filling a basement tank from the outside noticed it was taking a lot ... then realized the tank in the basement was leaking.. I believe 150 gallons of fuel oil was in the basement ...and not in the tank

2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Dude .. don't be difficult.

What the heck happened from there?!

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  3. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

The company I worked for did pay for a proper clean up however it was the homeowners responsibility to maintain the tank as the tank was not ours....even after a proper clean up I couldn’t imagine how long that smell lingered...

That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Tipped my GL up on the nose twice in the past 5 years or so, got on more of a slope than I should have been on with too much fert in the hopper.
    Fert leaked out of the apron on on the lawns both times. Managed to blow one out good so it didn't burn....the other burned a 5 foot hole in the turf. Cut out the burnt turf, re-installed sod.

That Guy Gary and eggy like this.
  5. CorgiTurf

CorgiTurf LawnSite Senior Member

Haha close, but no. Just rented a chisel hammer and removed it that way

That Guy Gary and zlandman like this.
  6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

I had a hose break on my ride on last year while spraying homebrew Q4. Dumped about 5 gallons mixed for 3k per in a small area. Half of it because I panicked when I realized what happened and made a beeline for concrete instead of shutting the pump off. Derp.

I sprayed the crap out of it with fresh water from my skid and checked back several times, no noticeable damage thankfully. You'd probably think I set the house on fire if you saw me when it happened though, I was that freaked out.

hort101 likes this.
  7. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

Our consultant had a client that bought their herbicide in bulk 55 gallon drums.
    When going to move it they managed to put the forks of the forklift right into the bottom of a new drum.
    They employee did not think to try to turn the drum over and they lost most product.

hort101, That Guy Gary and zlandman like this.
  8. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

So I pulled a hose from my truck sprayer all the way into a back yard only to find no pressure. I ran my ass off back to the truck only to find the hose had been pulled off the reel at the connection. The dam thing was spinning like a pin wheel, spraying pesticide all over my truck and my customers brand new truck. I ran into the fray in order to hit the kill switch, grabbed a garden hose and took a bath, hosed down the trucks, street and lawn. After explaining to the customer, I proceeded to the nearest full service car wash and got a gift certificate for a full detail. 20 years later he is still a customer.

hort101, zlandman and That Guy Gary like this.
  9. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I didn't see nothing, I didn't hear nothing and I don't know anything. :)

10. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Bronze Member

I’m familiar with that last statement...