1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Yucca Removal

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by The Captain, Jul 15, 2005.

1. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I work in the midwest, near St. Louis. One of my customers has asked me to "get rid" of 10-12 yuccas, (12"-16" dia.). Experiance from my own property tells me this will not be easy.

Question: After digging/cutting/removal of the plant, should I use a herbicide on the soil (roots, if any) remaining in the hole, backfill, and use a double layer of weed barrier. Nothing else will be planted there and 3"-4" dia. stones cover the entire bed area. Do you think I'll have serious regrowth that I (or the homeowner) can't control with something like Roundup?

Any other thoughts?

Just exploring the possible solutions before I start.....

Jim

2. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

You could do a pour of sahara if there are no other plants near by. I have used it on bamboo that wouldn't go away. Never had to remove yucca but have heard it is a beast to get rid of good luck.

3. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

We pulled 4 from my house in '94, the same 4 in '95, '96,'97 and so on. Good luck. Oh- and you can expect the roots to go down at least 16-24 inches.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

LOL pour a slab of concrete over it and keep your fingers crossed

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard to cut it back, cover it with cardboard and bury it with mulch.

Never tried it though.

6. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

Prosecutor from lesco directions say to apply at 100% to roots. I would dig down deep as possibly however good luck.

7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

last year I pulled about 15 out. the roots were huge. I put 2 layers of barrier over them, and 4-5" of mulch. Only a few came back, and theres only one spot where every year one comes up, but there so small its easy to get out. I hate yuccas!!!!