Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
But......?
But....

Our new board member ZSpray Info has failed to realize that the people they choose to attack or call out are consumers of their product. I made a statement in a thread a while back that was for PermaGreens relating to how anyone who made a positive comment about the T3000 was chewed apart by people for a long time and after I saw Z Spray Info post, you and everyone else had seen it. Z Spray Info threw in a plug and I made the comment that it had been hijacked (maybe a bad term to use at the time) simply because I was trying to relate it to the issuing of discussion involving the T3000. They went a little overboard in their response and have exhibited being extremely sensitive. I even try to say what's done is done. But in a recent thread, Z Spray Info made it clear that they wanted to keep on going. It's really made their company look professional and I may be one person, but I'll make sure I mark them off my list the next time I am considering an equipment purchase...

·
Banned
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And what is the cost of this machine? and what is the downside looks to good to be true.:clapping:
Price of the 36" model (46" wide at the rear tire) is $6795.00 Right now we are offering a $250 discount of new machine purchases.

The downside of this machine is what to do with your extra time. You should be able to get 60,000-80,000 sq ft per hour production, depending on speed. Top Speed is 8 mph.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I can help with the downside. I own one and I can say that everything in the video is correct - it turns well, pulls a great plug and the Z reliability is legendary. The downside - it's limited because it doesn't do very well on slopes. Like all hydros, it's real easy to get stuck and spin like crazy and it's not always easy to figure out when that will happen. Unlike a walk behind aerator, the Z can't pull itself along, so if you get stuck, you really get stuck. Keep a walk behind with you to hit all the spots the Z can't and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd have to agree with the previous post. It does do well on fairly flat, dry to moist lawns. You can get stuck easily and sometimes you can't even tell that you are spinning the tires. Also, the tines (plugs) are further apart than a walk behind.
BUT, having said all that, it can be a tremendous time and labor saver!

·
Registered
15,214 Posts
I also noticed that you are going to miss about a foot and a half next to beds, due to the clearance of the rear drive wheels. Combine this with the gap of area that you cannot touch because of the distance between the front of the front wheel, and the vertical center of the aerator spindles, and you have SEVERAL square feet that are unable to be done. Great for wide open areas, but anything with a border, and it is alot of area that doesn't get done without carrying a second aerator with you (another $3000). I'll stick to a tow behind that has the reach. I sure like the concept, though.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've owned a 36" Z-Plug for 3 seasons now and have not experienced any of the problems noted here. The only issues I've had on hills have been on very steep, wet hills. I can put it on the tiniest of yards. The only reason I still have a walk behind is for yards with small fence gates, and I absolutely dread having to use it. On the other hand, no offense to Tom Rich and his very capable crew but I hope you all hate the Z-Plug. People have a tendency to drop their prices when they suddenly work much faster and easier. We wouldn't want that now would we?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've owned a 36" Z-Plug for 3 seasons now and have not experienced any of the problems noted here. The only issues I've had on hills have been on very steep, wet hills. I can put it on the tiniest of yards. The only reason I still have a walk behind is for yards with small fence gates, and I absolutely dread having to use it. On the other hand, no offense to Tom Rich and his very capable crew but I hope you all hate the Z-Plug. People have a tendency to drop their prices when they suddenly work much faster and easier. We wouldn't want that now would we?
+1

I have 2 z-pluggers, and they blow away anything else, if you cant use them on a hill, you dont know how to drive one, or are overcautious.

I used the Ryan walkbehinds 20 years ago, uuugggghh, hate em', then a Ryan tow behind with an ATV for years, then a Power-trac with a Mill Creek aerator, and that was awsome! Than came the Z-plugger, I dont know of anything better.

·
Registered
337 Posts
+1

I have 2 z-pluggers, and they blow away anything else, if you cant use them on a hill, you dont know how to drive one, or are overcautious.
Can't see how it's a question of knowing what I'm doing. They either get traction or they don't. You can try to feather the power but you need a certain amount of power to push the tines along. If the wheels start spinning while you're going up a hill, there isn't much you can do. The wheels aren't connected to the tines so they can't help. If the wheels spin, you only have two choices - lift the tines up and try to move or try to loop around so that you're only aerating down hill.

·
Registered
337 Posts
SClawndr, I'll trade you my Ryan Lawnaire V for your Z-Plug right now. I'll even pay for shipping. OK ,the Ryan will go on any hill without sliding. It will also beat you half to death and wear you out.:weightlifter::cry:
You're right and no thanks. I'm happy with the Z and was only pointing out a shortcoming that is common to a lot of hydros. It may depend on what you call a hill. Compared to here, Columbus is a pool table. The 3 point stance on the Z takes away the option of going side to side since when you lift the tines, you're definitely going down hill whether you want to or not. The only real frustration so far has been trying to figure out exactly where the Z will get stuck. Guess it's just a matter of experience. We can use the Z on about 75% of our yards and so the walk behind is, unfortunately, still a necessity.

·
Super Moderator
19,367 Posts
loved the video. Now for the final video would you mind putting a really cute spokesmodel on the machine? It would hold my interest better. And if she could actually operate the machine on a hill--then anybody could.

·
Registered
2 Posts
And what is the cost of this machine? and what is the downside looks to good to be true.:clapping:
we use the aerator and i will say the controls are a little jerky compared to a regular z spray. i'm not sure if it has to do with the three wheel design or not but the controls could be much smoother for getting through tight areas. over all well worth having for large open jobs. opens up opportunities to do jobs you would never do with a walk behind!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.