• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Z spray calculation help

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I use the red tips at approximately 33 psi @5mph which should give you 1/2 gallon of water per k (1000 square feet).

Calculate how much product you need to apply per k. In the example you give 1.5 oz. per k. then for each gallon of water double the amount of product.

Be sure to turn off pump when turning and slowing down. I make end pass's first so I have room to turn around.

Josh Thorp

LawnSite Member
Ok, I am stating to study to get my license to spray and I bought me a new to me steal of a deal z sprayer max. not going to spray anything till i fully understand what i am doing and get certified to do so. He is my question just to help me understand. So the z spray has red tips and from what i am reading @ 5 mph it will put out .54 gallons per 1k @ 40 psi. I think i might use tzone or a lesco 3 way are what i am leaning towards right now as my "normal" go to herbicide. so this is where i am confused. tzone say use 1.2-1.5 pints per 1k. lets say i am going to fill up 30 or all 60 gallons. how to i figure out what my mix rate should be? I am reading on the back of the leg rest their calculations but thats for 1/3 gallon and im lost for some reason. i think i am making this harder then it needs to be. please help me figure out.

This is what i think my formula should look like since its at .54

1.3 ( tzone mix rate) x ? ( THIS IS THE PART I AM LOST AT) x 60 gallons of water = ??
also how would the rate formula go for .94 gallon per 1k?
This is from the Zspray manual...

Red tip: 5 mph/40psi/ G/1000sqft .54 (1/2 gal)

To determine liquid quantities per tank, understand what tips you have on your machine (factory set is 1/3 gallon per 1,000 sq. ft. through the Lavender tips).

For instance some products call for 1.1 to 1.5 oz per 1,000 sq. ft. We would recommend using 1.3 (median value of 1.1 to 1.5).

Since you are using a 1/3-gallon tip, you need to multiply by 3, and then multiply that number of gallons you need to put in your tank. 1.3 (median value of 1.1 to 1.5) X 3 (1/3 gallon tips) X gallons needed. If you were filling a 30-gallon tank your equation would look like this: 1.3 X 3 X 30 = 117 ounces in 30 gallons of water.

so for you: median of 1.2 to 1.5 - 1.3
1.3x2x30 =78 oz in 30 gallons of water (1 side tank).

Last edited: