Z-spray calibration question

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
This is hard to understand.
We need an experienced Z-Spray owner to chime in.

I watched the Steelgreen calibration guide.

It appears that only a few particles fly all the way to 16 feet wide--these are the "overlap" particles. Then, he says to apply with 100 percent overlap--so therefore the true pattern is 8 feet wide.
Actually the spray pattern on Steelgreen is 4 nozzles (each 20 inches wide), 80 inches.
So confusing.

OP
M

marchinggreen

LawnSite Member
I was trying to devise a calibration method that would not involve removing the impeller.

8800 sqft per minute; that is a lot.
I never heard of someone using a 20 foot swath, before.
Do you mean to say you need a fertilizer flow rate of 25 pounds per minute?
Perplexed.
I am going to review the Dow calibration video.
Be right back.
totally overthought this. I need to put the keyboard away at night when im half asleep.
the overlap was completely throwing me off and making me second guess myself. overlapping back to the closest tire track leaves us 10ft apart pass to pass. when I say 20ft swath Im talking 10ft in either direction. I believe you're saying the same thing and I was just misunderstanding.
10ft center to center on overlap.
should be xx lbs per minute at the hopper with scale.

OP
M

marchinggreen

LawnSite Member
This is hard to understand.
We need an experienced Z-Spray owner to chime in.

I watched the Steelgreen calibration guide.

It appears that only a few particles fly all the way to 16 feet wide--these are the "overlap" particles. Then, he says to apply with 100 percent overlap--so therefore the true pattern is 8 feet wide.
Actually the spray pattern on Steelgreen is 4 nozzles (each 20 inches wide), 80 inches.
So confusing.
you see my frustration with that. lots of people questioning this on here when I search for it. never really a good answer either, just guys saying go spread on a lot and sweep it up. there's got to be a more efficient way, I answered my own question today by measuring out at 10k sq ft and put a 50lb bag in, and applied at 1.8lbs/k and weighed the remaining product and was spot on with my calculation for 3.6lbs. should have just done this in the first place instead of being a habitual over thinker.

Last edited:

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Weighing the remaining product is ideal. Not over-thinking at all.
You have to scoop out the remaining fert so you can weigh it.
Or...my idea...put in enough weighed pounds for 2000 sqft and apply until you run out. Measure the sqft covered using a measuring wheel. Adjust--repeat--until perfect--or nearly so.

For your calibration run you need a method of marking the center to center lanes at 10 feet apart. It is best to mark the center points out in advance with a spot of soap suds or shaving cream.

Once on your route on customer lawns--I like to gauge the swath width by watching the particles that fly out the farthest.
I think--if a small number of particles reach the previous wheel track--then your overlap is about right.

Be sure to use this as a sales point. Explaining to the sales prospect that you are very careful and accurate. Never short on fertilizer--never a risk of damage to customer's grass due to excess.
If you want to show the customer that every spreader carries a measuring tape to double check the swath--morning and afternoon--why not?

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
And for a push spreader...you can add about 10 pounds. Then weigh the spreader and fertilizer together. Apply to 1000 sqft of grass. Weigh again. Adjust and repeat, (on a new 1000 sqft grass area. )
The fertilizer used can be weighed while still in the spreader.
Using bathroom scales, place the back metal bar of the spreader on the scales and tilt the spreader back with the wheels off the ground until it balances (or nearly so). Make a note of the weight. Spread the fertilizer on 1000 sqft. Weigh it again. The difference is the amount used. Adjust--repeat.
This is probably slightly more accurate if you use more fert and 3000 sqft as your test area. Be careful to keep your swath width consistent.
In some cases, I used a steel tape to measure the distance to the next nearest track. Later I used a piece of cord cut to the exact proper length--allowing for the width of the spreader. The wheel track to wheel track distance was about 2 feet less.

Prasia

LawnSite Member
The width of your spread pattern is total left to right spread. Should be double that of your spray width. Spray boom to boom if using all the nozzles and the right amount of spread overlap will be factored in.

Top Forums