Z spray calibration

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dishman89, Jun 14, 2018.

1. dishman89

dishman89 LawnSite Member

brand new to the ride on sprayer.
    Got new z yesterday and went out today and killed everyone lawn probably lol.
    So I tried to calibrate it with the stock tips at 4mph and 50 psi to get .47 gl per 1000 per chart.
    So the first yard I did I tried my best to keep it at 4 mph and used the foam marker and ended up applying almost twice what needed to lol. So I adjusted the psi to 40 and got closer to what I needed but still put down to much. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. The psi is set while spraying also. It’s impossible to keep 4 mph going around stuff and up hills and down hills. Is this just a learning curve or am I’m doing something wrong? Some times I’m going faster when going straight and slower other times.
    How perfect does it need to be. Do you go in circles or back and forth like using a hose or what?
    By the way it took 8 weeks to get delivered when the they told me 5 weeks.
    Thanks

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

Errrr, maybe you should have practiced with water. One thing you could do until you get more familiar with it is use the grey tips @ 1 gal per 1000 @ 4mph which gives you a little more room for error.

3. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GEORGIA

It will take you a few weeks to get it dialed in. But don’t give up. It will come

hort101 likes this.
  4. dishman89

Yeah I probably should’ve practiced some. I went straight to the job site with it lol. I’ll pay the piper for that probably.

5. dishman89

Thanks, my confidence was growing with each yard.

6. dishman89

Any suggest on spray pattern?
    Circle perimeter once then back and forth? Or circled or blocks the whole time?
    How do you guys do it? I know each yard is going to be different but for the most part what is the best way to go about it?
    Thanks

7. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

Like you said every yard if different. I kind of section off different areas of the lawn with a clear point of reference, a tree or bush or corner of house. The thing is you have to keep moving so keep that in mind.

ETM likes this.
  8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

I actually try to make 2 passes around the perimeter of an area before making straight line passes. This gives me plenty of room to turn around for the next pass. like ArTurf said, if it's big and or "cut up", try to knock it out in sections with points of reference. That way you're much less likely to make a mistake.

Young Bros, GrassManKzoo and hort101 like this.
  9. Turf 101

Turf 101 LawnSite Member

4mph:
    Catch water on one nozzle for 34.5 seconds. Ounces collected will give gallons per acre. Adjust pressure to meet your specs.

10. Reliable 1

Reliable 1 LawnSite Member

Are you a member of the Facebook Group "Z-Spray Lawn Care Operators"? Lots of great tips and feedback from diehard users of Z-Spray.

LawnGuy110 likes this.