Z Spray Jr 36 - pump is dead, thoughts?

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Guys.....picked up a very lightly used ZSpray a few days back. Went to winterize it (RV Antifreeze in the system) and the pump is completely dead. No power there when I turn on the key. Any thoughts as to what this might be? I had the machine delivered and it has been cold out - battery a possibility? (What voltage should I be seeing on the output with the engine running?) Other?

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Been cold? Check for ice in the system or pump.
Good point Arturf. Volt meter is a good idea. A fully charged battery should read about 12.8 volts.
Find the fuse.
Be sure to check all connections. Fertilizer is corrosive; you need clean connections bare metal to bare metal. Fert can turn bare copper wire to green dust. Five strands of a ten strand wire is not enough. You need 8 amps of power. Eleven volts is not enough. If in doubt, new, fat wire is better. A good ground to the frame is also important.
When the motor is running and properly charging the battery, it should read about 14.2 volts at the battery.
Try to clean out the system--possibly some powdered prodiamine has settled out in the hoses, tank, filter or pump. Try to force some compressed air or water pressure backwards through the system from the nozzle and up into the tank. Use a hand sprayer for air pressure if you need to.

Fortunately--pumps are available.

Last edited:
OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
This machine only has a little north of 10 hrs, so likely not any line clogs or debris. Has to be electrical. Fuse?

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Did you look at the fuse you realy need a test light to trouble shoot only 10 hrs on it got to be a easy fix
Gonna look at that today, I agree..no way this can be a complex problem or a pricey fix.

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Popped the pump fuse. My guess....must have had some ice in the system when I hit the pump switch.

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Even if theres just a little water in the pump and it freezes th it will bow right now
Yep found that out. I guess my own fault for trying to run the pump without verifying ice free system. Luckily a one buck fix.