• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Z-spray spinner plate settings (1 - 11)

FERT-TEK

LawnSite Bronze Member
Fellas I just recently purchased a Z-Spray Jr36 and am trying to gather information on spinner plate settings. Could those of you that are familiar with the machine suggest what number you set your spinner plate on for different widths. In other words how wide does each number on the console throw the product. I realize this would be a general rule of thumb and not a hard and fast rule due to variables like weight, wind and SGN effecting the product thrown.

ted putnam

LawnSite Fanatic
Fellas I just recently purchased a Z-Spray Jr36 and am trying to gather information on spinner plate settings. Could those of you that are familiar with the machine suggest what number you set your spinner plate on for different widths. In other words how wide does each number on the console throw the product. I realize this would be a general rule of thumb and not a hard and fast rule due to variables like weight, wind and SGN effecting the product thrown.
I have the Standard Jr. withg the 8 ft boom. It was suggested that I set the spinner speed to spread 16 ft wide. 8 ft each side of center. This would allow me to spread and spray at the same time(even though generally I don't). At this spread width I can set the hopper dial to somewhere between 5 and 6 for a 28%-32% material depending on what material I'm using at the time. This should give you a good starting point and you can fine tune your calibration from there. Hope this helps. Oh yea, I run the machine at 2800 RPM with a ground speed of 5 MPH

OP
FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have the Standard Jr. withg the 8 ft boom. It was suggested that I set the spinner speed to spread 16 ft wide. 8 ft each side of center. This would allow me to spread and spray at the same time(even though generally I don't). At this spread width I can set the hopper dial to somewhere between 5 and 6 for a 28%-32% material depending on what material I'm using at the time. This should give you a good starting point and you can fine tune your calibration from there. Hope this helps. Oh yea, I run the machine at 2800 RPM with a ground speed of 5 MPH
Thanks Ted, Z-spray does offer a basic calibration sheet but it isn't very helpful, The calibration sheet can be found here http://www.z-spray.com/calibration.html

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
Got a question about the RPM your using. I'm learning on the different ride ons and plan on buying one this spring still. For mower engines MFG's always say run them at full RPM as they need the fan running at that speed to keep the engine cool. Even the distributor showed me a 24HP Honda engine that melted the cover from the homeowner running it 3/4 throttle to save fuel. With emissions they lean out the carbs pretty well in the non operating range.

Do they recommend running the lower RPM? If so what do the plugs look like? Also how many hours do you have on it running at that RPM?

Thanks

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
andy from zspray reommended to use the lower rpms, but we like the full blast the best. we usually spread on number 2 while spraying at the same time with a jr and 8 ft boom, this makes it to the next wheel marks just like any other spreader, the determining factor being the distance alotted for the boom to be the set distance apart your passes will be. hope that makes sense and the hopper somewhere around 5.5 setting at 5.5 mph. this gives us the 1/2gal per K spray rate and about 4lbs per K dry rate. i thought the guidlines from zspray were very helpful, and then found to be applying heavy and chose to go faster to make the right rate applied.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
thing is, every machine will be different and temperature affects it greatly as to the number the impellar speed is on

sprayboy

LawnSite Bronze Member
Impeller numbers can vary from one machine to the other as the knob can be set in a different position.

One thing you will have to adjust for is the temperature. Early cold spring mornings you will have to turn the speed way up due to the oil being cold. As the oil warms you will have to turn down the knob. You will get the hang of it pretty easy.

OP
FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK

LawnSite Bronze Member
Impeller numbers can vary from one machine to the other as the knob can be set in a different position.

One thing you will have to adjust for is the temperature. Early cold spring mornings you will have to turn the speed way up due to the oil being cold. As the oil warms you will have to turn down the knob. You will get the hang of it pretty easy.
Learning something new with each post....I didn't realize temperatures would effect it much. Obviously I am wrong.

ted putnam

LawnSite Fanatic
You think LT Ritch would supply this info. You know some thing close so you have some where to start.
Charles Cue
They will if you ask Charles. I called them and asked myself and Ray immediately gave me the info I just gave. The problem with supplying some sort of "cheat sheet" is that with a hopper opening that is 4 inches wide and can be open as much as 1.5 inches(those are figures off the top of my head) coupled with a spinner that can spread from 3-25 ft wide depending on the speed you set it ...the combinations of settings with each of them is infinite.