Z915B...should the right side traction be this bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by kentuckydiesel, Sep 4, 2019.

1. kentuckydiesel

kentuckydiesel LawnSite Member

The Z915B that we bought earlier in the year came with a new Carlisle Turfmaster tire on the left, and a used one with good tread on the right. My wife tends to be the one using this mower, so I haven't spent much time on it, but every time I do, it baffles me how bad the reverse traction is on the right side. You can be on flat dry ground, pull back lightly on the right stick, and the tire will just spin. Going downhill, the right lets go all together.
    I have checked and rechecked tire pressure. Is this common on this model since the gas tank is on the left, or will a slightly worn tire make that much of a difference?
    Probably going to get a set of lug tires given how steep some of the hills that we mow are, but I thought I'd see if you guys had any other info.

Thanks,
    Phillip

2. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

A few things... Gas tank is on the left, the 915 doesn’t have a rear weight, and the OEM tires are garbage. Consider adding the rear weight, and get some Carlisle AT101’s and you’ll be set.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

What he said^^^^ It'll make a huge difference. I will not have a ZTR without these tires on it from now on, plus mine came with the heaviest rear cast bumper JD has offered so far-

100_5097.jpg

Brucey and Mumblingboutmowers like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    kentuckydiesel

kentuckydiesel LawnSite Member

Shouldn't they be backward for a zero turn?

Thanks,
    Phillip

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

No, they go just like that and they are designed expressly for zero turn mowers, which is why there are only two sizes available in them. They do far less damage to turf than regular turf tires and are awesome in the wet, especially on wet hills.

WGB likes this.
  6. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Listen to RidinGreen on this, he turned me onto the At101s last fall and I can say it is a "night and day difference" from the regular turf tires when it comes to mowing hills and getting through wet areas.

WGB and Ridin' Green like this.
  7. WGB

WGB LawnSite Member

Are they Carlisle? I need a set in 26x12x12

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

The AT101 doesn't come in 26X12-12 unfortunately, at least for right now.
    You can get some Titan/Carlise Tru Power tires that are similar in that size though. There is a couple of fairly recent threads from earlier this year and late last year on here about these bar tread tires with lots of great pics and info.

9. Grassfire205

Grassfire205 LawnSite Senior Member

look up antego 26x12x12 on amazon. i found them for my ferris and they pretty much replicate the carlise. litte more lug but not bad and are just as good as the carlise on my other mowers.

WGB and hort101 like this.
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Agree with above. Get some weight on the bumper. And also check out the Michelin Tweels. Expensive yes. But I put a pair on my 930M and never looked back, I will never again put aired up tires on my Z. Great traction, esp on slopes. And you can run those darn utility marking flags right through without fear of flats:)

WGB likes this.