z930M grass sticking to deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Griffin Hanberg, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Griffin Hanberg

Griffin Hanberg LawnSite Member

I bought the Z930M recently and have 8 hours on the meter, roughly 5 times mowing my lawn. We mow on either 1.75 or 2.0. the deck has a mulch kit installed and we mow every other day. I did the 8 hour oil change yesterday and looked under the deck, what i found gave me instant buyers remorse, grass clippings so thick they were almost touching the blades. I scraped roughly a half of a 50 gal garbage worth of wet grass out from the 60inch deck. My old toro did this and it was the main reason we got rid of it, plus from what i researched the 930M was supposed to have the best deck in the industry! The mower is leaving chunks of grass in the lawn and now I have to hear from my wife as to why a 10K$ mower would do this? Thoughts?

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

You can't mulch wet grass no matter the deck, its gonna pack.
    Remove the mulch kit and side discharge, should disperse ok unless the grass is totally soaking wet and very long. Increase height of cut as well, don't cut off so much blade in a pass.

3. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you using true mulching blades with the mulching kit?
    I don’t mulch A lot with my ZT’s but I would think that there would always be grass buildup under the deck when mulching.

Also, a lot of the spring type grasses and weeds tend to stick to decks more than turf grass due to type and moisture content in the spring type growth.

4. OP
    OP
    Griffin Hanberg

yes, using the dealer installed mulch kit and deere mulching blades. I can try to side discharge but I definitely dont want loose grass to be tracked around the sidewalk and house etc from the kids.

5. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

So you bought the JD because it supposedly has the industry best discharge deck and you put a mulch kit on it.

Genius.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I know the Deere deck shines when side discharging. Just don't do stuff like taking 6" grass down to 2" in one pass.

7. OP
    OP
    Griffin Hanberg

i suppose i will pull the mulch kit and see if i can stand the loose grass look!

IMG_3426.jpg

8. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why are you mowing every other day?

T Total Lawncare and weeze like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Griffin Hanberg

cause if i dont the grass will get so long and really plug up the deck, i will raise the cut height some and see if that helps.

we farm hay so the grass gets fertilized regularly with the hay, it grows like crazy

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Mowing every other day, and at that short a height.....you won't have anything loose laying anywhere, and for sure no more than with a mulch kit. Probably not as much.

Mulch kits are fine when used properly. Far too many people, especially HO's, buy a commercial mower thinking they will do everything. They won't. They are simply better made mowers made to last much longer in much harsher conditions. If you simply have your mind made up that you have to mulch, get used to jacking it up and cleaning the deck, especially in the spring. You can't expect anything else no matter who makes it.