Z930m transaxle problems

jc46

LawnSite Member
I was about 3 hours into mowing today and noticed a strange feeling on the left drive wheel. It caused me to slow down and focus on it. First I noticed that it was lagging behind on the left side (not tracking straight) I slowed to a stop, shut off the blades and slowest moved forward and back. Left side hydro sounded loud and I could see the vibration in the Left tire. I immediately shut it off, jacked it up, removed the wheel and drained the trans fluid and pulled the filter. The fluid is shimmering and I found a few small chunks of black metal stuck in the pleats of the filter. The machine is a 2015 with 284 hours on it. It hasn’t even had the first 300 hour ‘break in’ hydro filter and fluid change. I assume the worst case scenario here that the hydro is trashed. Has anyone experienced something like this? It wasn’t low on fluid and it still had the original factory fluid in it. Warranty was up in April 2019...:(

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
dang that sucks. out of warranty? wow.

my deere hydros have 1400hrs on them and no problems. it must have been some kind of a fluke. not being under warranty you are probably screwed but you could ask them about it since you haven't even done the break-in hydro oil change yet. maybe they will help you out.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Possibly a piece of something that was in there from the factory somehow and finally worked its way into the trans where it could make it act up. First thing I'd do is drain both sides and the entire system and replace the filter etc and see if it clears up at all, or if it is still acting up, check the filter again. It isn't cheap to do that I know, but it is cheaper than what a dealer would charge just to check it and he's going to do the same thing basically when trying ti diagnose it.

OP
jc46

jc46

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the advice. I already had new filters and JD hyguard as I was prepared to do the 300hr service. You think after draining, I should sacrifice a couple of extra gallons of fluid to just pour it through the system as a flush?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
No, not unless the hydro still acts up after the change. I would just change it all and try it and see how it does. If it is still acting up, check the filter on that side again and see what, if anything, is caught in it this time.

OP
jc46

jc46

LawnSite Member
I’m not sure what they are. But these pieces were stuck in the pleats of the filter and the bottom of the oil pan is covered in silver powdery glitter.
DA8DC647-23BF-4EE9-8D4B-9D38CD9A8187.jpeg

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
Do you mow slopes with it very often?