Z930M

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Griffin Hanberg, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Griffin Hanberg

Griffin Hanberg LawnSite Member

hey guys, been reading a bunch on this forum for the past few weeks and been researching new zero turns as well! Currently looking to upgrade from my toro ss5000 and I think I’ve settled on a Deere 930M.

I mow every other day so I think I’m going to go with the 60” deck and mulch kit, I don’t feel like I need the MOD as I will mulch year round and never side discharge. Hoping the mulch kit will do well on small sticks and a few scattered leaves. Also going with the carburetor as opposed to the EFI. We own a bunch of acreage but cut most of the grass for hay, just keep about 2-3 acres in perfect lawn as well as along the pasture fences and around the hay.

Hoping this mower will work out and I welcome any suggestions! Price is $9700 with mulch kit installed delivered to the farm! Pic is part of the lawn we keep mowed!

2D383677-3C45-4707-A06B-A189032BDBE8.jpeg

2. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

You will love it. Price seems fair for an out the door price.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  3. nch209

nch209 LawnSite Member

I have a 930r that I bought used and while I don't have much time on it, I really like the machine. The only advice I can give you is to stick with the 60 deck... at least based on your pictures. Mine has a 54 and frankly I bought and settled with it because the deal was too good to pass up... luckily really growing to love the size. (Went from a 46 rider, to a craptacular 60' zero, to this 54.) This is just personal residential use, and I mow quite a few acres weekly, but the zero is just used around the house a bit twice a week, and I use a 3520 with 72'' mmm and 72'' rmm on the bulk of the acres. (Much prefer the ride of tractor over zero)

The 54 actually suits me well base on how tight things are where I mow around the house, and it fits on my current trailer. In the end it actually suits my specific need perfectly and I prefer the 54 for what I need, but I think I would be one of the few. In fact, if I didn't have the tractor, my zero would be 72'' and I would just use a smaller "something" around the house.

Not sure if this helps, but just wanted to put it out there. Anyone who buys a 930 or above and chooses a 54 ought to have a good reason, and ever more so if a dealer is pushing that combo...

Good Luck, I think you will be please with it. Oh yea, tell the dealer to toss in a floor mat on the deal. Santa brought me one, and it is way cool! :)

4. Griffin Hanberg

Will the 930 be enough mower? Should I step up yo the 950?

5. nch209

nch209 LawnSite Member

I believe the 950 is just a part in the carb to make more power. So the 930 can be modded for more ponies if needed, or the 950 can be bought for a few bucks over a 950. (I see ag pro in Ohio has a leftover 2016 960 for under 10 if HP is a concern. )There is an older thread here going over modding a 930 to a 950. Have to search for it.

That said, I have no experience bagging or the Power they require. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Also depends on your needs. Just a homeowner in retirement making your lawn look like a million bucks with tons of time????--- or like me, a 30 somthing working 70 hour weeks, commuting a ton, with 2 screaming little kids and pressed for time----- for me overkill is underrated. :) point is- a guy with tons of time can get by easier with less HP and going a little slower.

6. Griffin Hanberg

Well im in my low 30's and work full time, put up custom hay and raise cows, horses and kids! I want something that will mow pretty, but also save me some time! I think the 930M will be plenty of mower for me! Ordering today!

7. nch209

nch209 LawnSite Member

I think it's a solid choice. Don't second guess R over M at the final table. I have the R, and still think the M is fine (better in some respects and way cheaper). You can always turn up the 930 to a 50 if you feel you need it. Do spring for the good seat as well IMO. Buy once, cry once. If not, you will be upgrading later. Good luck!

8. Griffin Hanberg

ya i sprung for the better seat for sure! will research the 30 to 50 Mod!

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Enough mower? It's full on commercial equipment for homeowner use. It will probably outlive you.

10. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

It will be plenty enough bro.