z950r hyd oil change

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rungreen, Apr 11, 2019.

1. rungreen

rungreen LawnSite Member

It looks there are two transmission filters and one hyd filter for the deck lift. Going to change today for the first time . Anything else i need to look at while doing. How much oil does hyd system hold

2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

Go here and on the left side are instructions for servicing the trans. Click on that link
    http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMTCU36879_19/?tM=

hort101 likes this.
  3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Yep, follow your manual, and make sure you replace the O rings under each filter cover on the trannies. I don't have the deck lift filter on my 950A. The trans holds 5 qts on mine IIRC, so shouldn't be far off for yours. Make sure you jack the rear up as laid out in the manual and move the sticks back and forth while running to purge the system.

hort101 likes this.
  4. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you guys running the John Deere fluid, which is nothing more than conventional oil or are you goign with the good stuff?

Amsoil has a zero turn hydro transmission fluid that's higher in zinc and less than the JD garbage.

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

You are talking trash about something you clearly know nothing about. JD oils are GOOD stuff. In 20 years of running them I have never had a single issue with any of their oils of any type. Their specific models of TT trannies are designed to run with their oil and there's zero reason to vary from it. You will have to look far and wide, and long, to find a story of a JD hydro going out due to it being filled with Hy Gard. I run it in my CUT and the other CUT's I have owned, not to mention all the HD GT's I have owned of theirs. never a single issue.

6. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Obviously you're a brand guy, and I offended you, sorry.

JD oils are nothing fancy, they are re-branded oils. JD hydro's go out just like the others do, you can get some extra life out of them if you run a good quality oil, and there are a couple out there that are cheaper.

Not all deeres are running your hy gard either. Plenty of them spec and run JD labeled motor oil, that's it.

Come to think of it, most manufacturers recommend a specific weight motor oil, nothing fancy. Some do have a caveat that states "for extended life use john deere" etc, etc, etc. I always encourage to use an actual hydro transmission fluid rather than motor oil, not only do you get extended change intervals, but you can likely get more life out of your hydro.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

You are talking out your arse. Period. You have no clue. As far as being a brand guy? Yeah, that's the cry of the lame that can't make their case otherwise, and it's a weak play. Sorry no sale. I will run any brand that does what I want it to do regardless of who makes it. Sure JD hydros can go out, and you can't show me where i said they wouldn't. What I said was pretty clear- you will have hard time ever finding anything or showing any of us anything about a JD hydro going out due to using their oil. That is a fact. I have never once claimed that JD makes their oils either, as we all know they don't. What I do know, it that whoever makes it, makes it to JD's exact specs, and that is a fact. It is designed to work properly in anything JD builds that requires oil of any type, whether hydro or engine. I am also an avid Amsoil fan. You gonna cry that I am a fanboy over that too?

Wye Oak Tree, hort101 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

BTW- JD hydro oil is made specifically for their hydros and is not motor oil.:rolleyes:

9. Fuzzy1

Fuzzy1 LawnSite Senior Member

The hydraulic system on the "R" series mowers takes 7.66 quarts of fluid. The transaxle system holds 4.81 +/- 0.53 qt. Since my Z920R has a re-badged KAWASAKI engine, I use KAW oil & filters. A few years ago KAW changed their oil specs. and they now recommend 20W-50. I've also added a pretty good-size oil cooler to the system ... figured even a few degrees of cooling will help in hot weather.

hort101 likes this.
  10. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

OP- also, if you use JD Hy Grad, make sure you use the std Hy Gard and not the low viscosity version. That is very specific in your ops manual.

From JD's owners manuals for the B,M, and R series machines. This is from the section for the R models-

Capacities
    Fuel Tank..............43.5 L (11.5 gal)

Z900R Series Transmission Oil (With Filters)..............4.25 L (4.5 qt)

Z900B and Z900M Series Series Transmission Oil (With Filters)..............3.75 L (4 qt)

Engine Oil

Z915B - With Filter..............1.6 - 1.8 L (1.7 - 1.9 qt)

Z925M - With Filter..............1.9 L (2.0 qt)

Z920M and Z920R - With Filter..............2.0 L (2.1 qt)

Z930M, Z950M, Z930R, Z950R, Z960R and Z970R - With Filter..............2.4 L (2.5 qt)

Link to manual-
    http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMTCU36879_19/?tM=HO

hort101 likes this.