1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

z950r hyd oil change

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rungreen, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Ron_Swanson

Ron_Swanson LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty sure the engineers at JD know what they are doing and spec the right oil for each part.

I used to deal with the same thing in motorcycling. Everyone thinking they knew more than the engineers and putting fluids in their bike that they shouldn’t, or at least isn’t optimal.

hort101 likes this.
  2. Fuzzy1

Fuzzy1 LawnSite Senior Member

J.D. Engineers had nothing to do with designing or building my engine ... it is straight off the assembly line at Kawasaki, with a John Deere sticker on it.

3. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Just like all the rest of them, they find a company who makes oil to their spec (specifically for the transmission specs), and then they test it to work, but that doesn't mean there aren't better options out there, or more specialized oils. The JD stuff obviously works, it's also expensive and proprietary.

Kawasaki has their own oil for their own engines, they simply have an oil manufacturer make it to their spec, they test it and call it good. I don't run that oil in my kawi motors though, because there's better options than a semi synthetic.

Same goes for my hydro's on my hustler, they recommend using hustler hydro fluid. I run the amsoil stuff. It's not only cheaper, but has been tested on hydrogears extensively and is not a rebranded bottle of castrol 20w50

The motorcycling world is the same way, funny that was mentioned.

Go buy yourself some honda GN4 to put in your bike for 10 bucks a qt. I'll put something else in for half the price that is going to be a better oil, it just won't have the name honda on it. same with yamalube, can am fluid and all the other ones that are labeled with a brand name. I've actually found in my atv's that Shell Rotella runs better with wet sump and wet clutches than the honda stuff does. I have seen less wear, better life, and smoother clutch using rotella vs the GN4. But the honda engineers want you to put int he red bottle on the trans side. because it's expensive, and is red in color. But the clutch manufacturer recommends shell rotella?

4. Fuzzy1

Fuzzy1 LawnSite Senior Member

Your numbers are worded slightly different than mine ... yours come from an online published manual dated 2013 ... mine come from a factory manual I purchased dated 2015.

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Yeah it is from an online manual, but it is right from JD's website and was put online. I have seen the same numbers in newer versions as well. That was just one I happened to look at yesterday.

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

JD doesn't just look for an oil to their spec, they have it made to their specs. This isn't engine oil either. HY Gard is made specifically to work with wet clutches and wet brakes, the latter of which JD uses in their Z Traks. Many oils are great oils, but not all are not specifically formulated to work correctly and not cause wear with wet systems.

7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

This is from the 2017 manual that I have access to-

Z900E, Z900M, Z900R ZTrak™ Pro Series Gas
    Copyright 2017 © Deere & Company. THIS DATA IS THE PROPERTY OF DEERE & COMPANY. ALL USE AND/OR REPRODUCTION NOT SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED BY DEERE & COMPANY IS PROHIBITED.

Fuel Tank..............43.5 L (11.5 gal)

Z900R Series Transmission Oil (With Filters)..............5 L (5.3 qt)

Z900E and Z900M Series Transmission Oil (With Filters)..............4.5 L (4.8 qt)

Engine Oil

Z915E - With Filter..............1.6 - 1.8 L (1.7 - 1.9 qt)

Z925M and Z930M EFI - With Filter..............1.6 - 1.8 L (1.7 - 1.9 qt)

Z920M - With Filter..............2.0 L (2.1 qt)

Z945M EFI and Z955M EFI - With Filter..............2.6 L (2.7 qt)

Z930M, Z950M, Z930R, and Z950R - With Filter..............2.3 L (2.4 qt)

Z960M and Z970R - With Filter..............1.9 L (2.0 qt)

All capacities are approximate.

8. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Like I said, they have a company that makes it to their spec. No it's not engine oil, it's hydraulic oil. It has a vast range of application, not specific to just zero turn transmissions. I can literally name, right now, off hand, about 5 motor oils that work with wet clutches and brakes, so that doesn't exactly make it specific to anything. You're proving the point that this is not much more than a proprietary oil sold with a JD label. Yes it's formulated for them, yes it is applied to many different applications, yes it works, no it's not the only option. No it is not specifically made for commercial lawn mower hydro transmissions. THe range is much broader than that. Use it if you like it, some guys use exmark hydro oil, some use the hustler hydro oil, some use the scag labeled hydro oil. It's whatever you want to use, but it ain't nothing fancy.

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I never said any of the stuff in your post. You are trying to put words in my mouth and that ain't happening. All I said was the oil is made by an outside vendor to their exact specs, and that is a fact. Several oils may work with wet clutches etc, but I would rather make sure to run one made to the specifications the manu of my machine has laid out. I do know for sure that the oils they sell are good oils. One thing you said that is false......JD oils are not expensive. I can get them for less money than just about any oil made except for Kawi oil, which I run in my own machine.

10. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

alright, back on topic and the two of you can block each other if need be...either way, quit cluttering discussions with your back and forth towards one another please

thanks