1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

z950r hyd oil change

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rungreen, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Gump_Runner

Gump_Runner LawnSite Member

Well said.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I am trying to help the OP with some facts as well as experience. I didn't come here and start anything. so please don't include me in that. MY replies have been to make sure that the OP is getting clear and accurate info regardless of what anyone else is trying to convey or state.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  3. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

As am I. I realize calling the JD oil "garbage" ruffled some feathers, I will take credit for that. My only intention was to imply that there's other options out there. I will say that I was pretty quickly attacked for the input I gave, more than likely because of my use of the word "garbage". That is probably a stretch. I think "nothing fancy" should have been the first choice I used. The discussion could be more civil if we can open up and realize not everybody has to agree on oil brands.

4. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

Just use eXmark hydro oil. Not rebranded anything. Made for and to eXmark specs. Anti foaming full syn w/zinc. Never really need change it unless you got a bad seal

5. rippinryno

Likely made for the hydro gear specs and definitely rebranded. Get a look at the amsoil zero turn hydro oil. Cheaper and better than the $12 a qt exmark.

6. greenleafgreenscapes

greenleafgreenscapes LawnSite Member
    Male, from Wi

Amsoil is like all the other oil companies, they try to do an analysis of the oil but they cannot match the trace elements. They will tell you right out that they can come close, but not exact and the trace elememnts are the important ones.
    Are you ******** enough to think that for a $3.00 dollar savings for each time I change filters and oil that Im not going to use my brands oil?
    I keep my mowers for 3 year, and 3 hydro changes, so $11.00 dollars in oil roughly? You are ******** rippinryno.

Mark Oomkes and Ridin' Green like this.
  7. greenleafgreenscapes

greenleafgreenscapes LawnSite Member
    Male, from Wi

The stars are because I called you r e t a r ded.
    I have a 125hp tractor that I could save $48.00 on a hydraulic fluid change by using Amsoil vs Hy Gard. The transmission is $26,000 dollars, would you try to save $48.00?
    Its insane to me people try to save pennies on oil and filters but spend dollars and motors and hydros.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Mark Oomkes and Ridin' Green like this.
  8. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Fanatic

eXmark oil not rebranded. Formulated specifically to eXmark specs.

Doing an eXperiment on a Tracer. Initial change at 250hrs now at 2800 hrs no further changes and just going to see how long it goes. Guessing it will go the distance of machine usability.

9. rippinryno

. You must have read “savings” as lessser quality. Amsoil has more testing on certain manufacturer equipment than the damm companies do. Do you run stihl 2 cycle because it’s got their name on it? Do you not agree that there are better oils for less? I keep my mowers and other motors for a long time, it’s not about saving, it’s about running quality fluids. You are wrong about the additives, especially for the hydro trans fluid. Amsoil knows what hydro gear calls for, they know what needs to be in the additive package.

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

JD doesn't use hydro gear trannies as mentioned in your post above.

I do know for sure that JD is very tight lipped about the exact specs required for their equipment, so I wouldn't be too sure Amsoil can match them exactly.

Amsoil is a LOT more expensive than Hy Gard. I can buy a gallon of Hy Gard for what one quart of Amsoil costs.

As I said, I am an Amsoil fan, but there are some areas where sticking to the oem oil is wise, both from a performance and a cost perspective. JD service intervals after the initial 300 hour change are 500 hours, so don't try to tell us that their oils are inferior to anything.

You've turned this thread into a sales pitch for Amsoil when all the OP asked about was changing his fluid and filters and what else he should look for, not what other oil to use.

Mark Oomkes likes this.