z950r hyd oil change

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by rungreen, Apr 11, 2019.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

I assure you, jd fluid is nothing special. The hy gard is nothing more than a spin on their hy gard low velocity. Couple changes, boom good to go. There are dozen of replacements for jd hy gard, all at cheaper prices and better performance. It’s absolutely nothing to do with being tight lipped. Do you buy the jd motor oil for your engines as well?

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Until a couple years ago, I ran nothing but JD engine oil ( a motor is an electrical device) for 20 years. Never had a single issue or malfunction with it either. You can assure whatever you want to post, but you are full of it and talking out your ear. You have no clue what JD oils are made from or how they are made, nor what's in them. I know for sure JD is very tight lipped about that stuff.

Hy Gard is not a spin off of low vis HG or vica versa. It is simply a heavier weight version required for certain machines they make. Their CUT's etc as well as a lot of ag stuff run on low vis. Their Z trannies require std Hy Gard. Both their CUT's and their ZTR's have wet brakes and/or hydraulic clutches in them, yet require two different types of oil. If it's all the same, why is that?

Sounds to me like an Amsoil dealer trying to promote what they sell.

3. greenleafgreenscapes

greenleafgreenscapes LawnSite Member
    Male, from Wi

Yep. And to save $48.00 dollars on a hydraulic oil change on a tractor with a $26,000 dollar IVT transmission is just silly. As is saving $3.00 dollars on my zero turns when roughly $1500 to replace wheel motors.
    Anybody can use what ever hydro oil they want, to save whatever money they want. But you are changing oil and filter for a reason, so now you are going to use cheaper product to save money?

Mark Oomkes, Ridin' Green and hort101 like this.
  4. Fuzzy1

Fuzzy1 LawnSite Senior Member

hmmmm ...

MOTOR : a machine, especially one powered by electricity or internal combustion, that supplies motive power for a vehicle or for some other device with moving parts.

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Times have changed for sure. For decades motor was referring to electrical motors and engines were combustion engines. The fact that terminology has been aborted and abused by an awful lot of people has lead to definitions being altered in many cases. This is one of them. Just like the word ain't was never acknowledged in most dictionaries for decades, but now it is.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  6. rippinryno

It seems you are locked in on any other brand of oil being of less quality. I guess you just do what works best for ya.

If there's anything that I've stressed, it's that rebranded oils are not superior because they have a name on them. JD motor oil is a prime example. How many motors on JD commercial zero turns are made by JD? none.
    Isn't that sort of the definition of a spin off? Are we arguing just to argue? If it's a version of the same, with a different weight, I think it's a spin off. sorry.

7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

No, you are arguing just to argue. A spin off is when something comes out of something else, in short. Why do you automatically assume that one was spun off from the other? My info says they were developed at the same time- together.

You just like to argue with everyone lately. I have seen it in several threads recently. You aren't offering any useful info to the OP's original question, so why not just move on? You've made your position as an Amsoil dealer clear. We get it bro.

Mark Oomkes and hort101 like this.
  8. rippinryno

The original hy gard, low vis has been around much longer than the spin off version that is called for in the newer ZTR mowers.

The newer labeled hy gard for the ZTR's is a version of the original, it's a spin off, sorry again.

I do realize that you are playing this argument game with me. We've been asked to stop jabbing, yet you continue to belittle and run your mouth with accusations and claims. Grow up son, just because you don't like my opinions related to re branded oil, doesn't mean you get to repeatedly tell me i'm talking out of my arse, ear, etc. I'm not an amsoil dealer, i don't even run that much amsoil, but I do recommend their ZTR hydro fluid to people because it's cheaper than the rebranded exmark, hustler, toro, etc, it's high in ZDDP which is good, and it's got anti foaming properties. It's all warranty approved.

You are telling me I'm not helping the OP, and that I'm the problem, yet I see you making arguments regarding whether it's an engine or a motor, how helpful is that?

Here is a prime example of an alternative oil that I can garuntee you is a better product. This stuff has been used by legit farmers for decades now, it's well known, but not well known, and it's just an example of other options.
    http://www.cen-pe-co.com/images/Multi Purp Flyer.PDF

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I came here and posted info that I know that can help the OP. You came here afterwards and started in with the arguing with everyone as you always do. You are the one running your mouth, and you do it all the time in every thread these days. I ain't your son either. As I said, my source tells me that they were developed together, regardless of which one came to market first. yes, we were asked to stop, but you kept up. What was I supposed to do? Just let you run of at the mouth and not defend myself at all? If it troubles you, use the ignore feature.

You came here to do nothing more than argue. It isn't hard for anyone to read all the posts and see that.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  10. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

OP- you may find some useful/helpful info here-

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/4968_fb_HyGardsTransmissionHydraulic.htm

And here, especially if you scroll down to the Hy Gard section and read-

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/featbene/DKD1801OilGuide.pdf

This is lifted from the last link above-

An industry classification for Transmission Hydraulic Fluid (THF) does not exist. Each manufacturer establishes a minimum requirement that oils must meet for use in their equipment. John Deere has established the JDM J20 specification for minimum THF performance. John Deere does not monitor competitive or “will-fit” oils, or approve JDM J20 oils. While claiming to meet John Deere requirements, it is possible that the competitive or “will-fit” oils do not meet even the minimum performance requirements for John Deere machines, which could result in premature failures.

I don't see where Amsoil Hydro fluid lists meeting the JDM specs, only that it exceeds the viscosity specs.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...tractor-hydraulic-transmission-oil-sae-5w-30/

I'm sure it would work alright, but at three times the cost of Hy Gard, why bother?