Zero turn debate for my 5.6 acre yard

Gump_Runner

LawnSite Member
While some of that may be true....I’m not doing any of that. The dealership should’ve done that if they wanted to sell me a mower. It was a demo that only had 4 hrs on it. Cut quality was horrible. The tweels made it worse too I believe.
I agree. A customer shouldn't have to "test and tune" a brand new mower. I encourage you to demo 4 or 5 comparable mowers before making your final decision. I wouldn't buy anything before demoing Deere, Scag (TT) and Ferris. Getting seat time with several mowers buys peace of mind - at no charge.

OP
sbronemann

sbronemann

LawnSite Member
My brother in law has the identical mower I tested and he was literally offended that I thought the cut was terrible. I had to mow a lot of spots twice with it. He said the same thing where it probably wasn’t set up or blah blah. I’m not setting up a mower to make it cut well. That’s what the dealer is for. That is the second 37 hp vanguard I’ve mowed with and am less than impressed. They feel very underpowered.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
My brother in law has the identical mower I tested and he was literally offended that I thought the cut was terrible. I had to mow a lot of spots twice with it. He said the same thing where it probably wasn’t set up or blah blah. I’m not setting up a mower to make it cut well. That’s what the dealer is for. That is the second 37 hp vanguard I’ve mowed with and am less than impressed. They feel very underpowered.
The only real thing that would need to be set uo is make sure the blade height matches the selector height, which it seems like a lot of dealers don't do. My new Scag Tiger Cat is lower than the selector says. By 3/4 of an inch. It cuts level and I know where to set it for my customers.

So whatever you buy, you need to be sure to tell them to set it up and match the deck selector and blade height.

Tell your brother to bring his jalopy over and see how it cuts in comparison to the one you demoed.

OP
sbronemann

sbronemann

LawnSite Member
The only real thing that would need to be set uo is make sure the blade height matches the selector height, which it seems like a lot of dealers don't do. My new Scag Tiger Cat is lower than the selector says. By 3/4 of an inch. It cuts level and I know where to set it for my customers.

So whatever you buy, you need to be sure to tell them to set it up and match the deck selector and blade height.

Tell your brother to bring his jalopy over and see how it cuts in comparison to the one you demoed.
Lol. I don’t care that much. He can love his hustler and I’ll have my gravely that costs 4-5k less and mows better

NickTF

LawnSite Member
His hustler prob cuts like he says because the rpms and deck are where it needs to be. My dealer said they’ve seen mowers come anywhere from 3300 rpm (garbage cut quality and power) to 3600 in many cases. The vanguard 37 rpm is easier to adjust than executing a damn zero turn. Believe it or not we are trying to help you. Do a search under puppy paws or my name and you’ll turn up the thread that illustrates the screw that needs to be turned clockwise to raise rpms. Or, take your mower to a dealer and have them do it. Also have them check the deck to make sure it’s adjusted correctly. Some machines are certainly better than others but getting the most out of a machine nice as you have should be anyone’s first step before dropping half a car cost on a new machine that may come adjusted even worse.

OP
sbronemann

sbronemann

LawnSite Member
Well…brought home the new ProTurn 660 yesterday. Mowed my yard today after work. Cuts absolutely fabulous and on my open s d flat part(maybe an acre)….it can fly and still cut well.

tundraman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Well…brought home the new ProTurn 660 yesterday. Mowed my yard today after work. Cuts absolutely fabulous and on my open s d flat part(maybe an acre)….it can fly and still cut well.
I like my 672 but I have an issue of wobbling up and down as if a wheel is out of round. Looking forward to getting it back.

Top Forums