Zero turn for 1.5+ acres

elica$h22

LawnSite Member
Greetings from southeast Michigan.

I'm in the market for a zero turn for my 1.5 acre property (some trees). My lot is on flat land (no hills), but the property has never been properly graded, and is therefore a bit rough in some areas. I have mowed with a 42" craftsman rider for the last 3 years, and am lucky to get done in 3.5 hrs. I'd like to cut this time at least in half.

My budget is $3-5K, and I'm looking for something that will last at least the next 15 years with regular maintenance. I'm looking at purchasing something with a 50-60" deck. Should I go bigger, or could I get away with smaller?

As of right now the brands I'm seriously considering are Bad Boy and Simplicity, but I am open to suggestions.

Also, I'd like to purchase an additional acre or two in the future, and would like something that could handle the extra land.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

camelotWI

LawnSite Member
Be sure to look at the new Cub Cadet zero turns with steering wheels. I'm looking also but i have hills and the four wheel steering is very stable on hills. Not to mention my wife might even drive it since it doesn't have lap bars. Still havn't made up my mind yet but leaning toward the Cub Cadet.

dieseltech

LawnSite Senior Member
Husqvarna mz6128. 61" deck with a 28hp briggs. Zt 3400 trannies which are a great option as well. Large rear tires that will smooth out the ride. Fabricated 11ga cutting deck that cuts nice. I have one and love it. These can be had for between 4 and 5 grand depending on place of purchase and sales etc. I would recommend looking into them. Look a couple pages back or so and there is a fella who just bought one and has pics of his posted
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
E

elica$h22

LawnSite Member
@camelot: thanks for the input, but I actually prefer the sticks. I worked for a landscape company several years back that used Dixie Choppers, and loved driving them.

@ dieseltech: Thanks, I'll check them out!

castlerockmo

LawnSite Senior Member
Husqvarna mz6128. 61" deck with a 28hp briggs. Zt 3400 trannies which are a great option as well. Large rear tires that will smooth out the ride. Fabricated 11ga cutting deck that cuts nice. I have one and love it. These can be had for between 4 and 5 grand depending on place of purchase and sales etc. I would recommend looking into them. Look a couple pages back or so and there is a fella who just bought one and has pics of his posted
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm with DT
Posted via Mobile Device

tntroller

LawnSite Member
might look at the Ferris IZ1500, has the suspension that will smooth out the rough spots. My yard is very rough from where clumps of grass and bare spots co-exist due to bad weather during the seeding/straw phase of m yard. The suspension really helps, my back is not sore the next day anyway. I have a IZ1500 19hp/48" and it does the job for me on my 1 acre no trees. I wanted a good mower that would hopefully be my "last" mower as well, and think I've got it. Maintanence is fairly easy except for the oil & filter but only because of the tight quarters in the engine area. Depending on how many trees you have, you will cut your mowing time due to the ability of the ZTR to cut around the trees. make sure the new one will fit between the trees. :)

OP
E

elica$h22

LawnSite Member
@Fullmoon: That's what I'm looking at, and I'm also considering stepping up to the CZT if its still somewhat close to my price range.

@tntroller: What did you have to give for your Ferris? From what I've seen they're fairly pricey.

Capemay Eagle

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hustler Fastrak 48"!!! I think the 2012 is still in the 5K range, but the last mower you will buy for a long time! If you can find a local dealer see if they have any left over stock from 2011.

The CZT is nice aswell. I owned a CZT 42" two years ago, but sold it and went back to a Hustler SuperDuty 42" and I love it!

Last edited:

Capemay Eagle

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hustler Fastrak 48"!!!