Zero turn for mulching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Grampoll, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Grampoll

Grampoll LawnSite Member

Im in the process of shopping for a new zero turn. I will be using a mulch kit 100% of the time. Do certain decks mulch better than others or is deck design negated with a proper mulch kit and blades installed.
    I'm coming off a 1996 laser z with 60" trivantage and exmark mulch kit with wavy blades. This mower I felt gave a real nice cut for me. I thought qoc was actually better mulching than side discharge with high lift blades. I wouldn't be replacing it if I didn't have to.
    I'm just a home owner and only put on 50-60hrs/yr. Looking at lower end commercial. I have husqvarna, exmark and hustler to chose from locally in Saskatchewan.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

IME, kit and blade design is more important than deck design for dedicated mulching.

JLSLLC likes this.
  3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

It's kind of a combination deal. Some so-called kits are nothing more than a curve block off plate. Some decks just won't mulch at all regardless of kit. It would help to know what kind of grass your cutting how to make a recommendation on ZTR.

4. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

@dishboy has a lot of good info about mulching, maybe he will see this and chime in

5. Grampoll

Grampoll LawnSite Member

Cutting mainly bluegrass, rye and fescue. Cut quality is most important to me as I doubt I'll wear out another mower. Have lots of dough terrain and some hill so semi commercial would probably be best for me (radius or mz/mz-t) Just seems like they'll all cut the same if im mulching.

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

What decks are those.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Well......no. What are your cut heights?

8. Grampoll

Grampoll LawnSite Member

9. Grampoll

Grampoll LawnSite Member

Cut at three inches usually. Are deeper decks better for mulching? That's about the only difference I can tell after the baffles are bolted in. Or no

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Wright's can be problematic leaving stringers. Ferris have occasional issues. There's been many threads over the years. Some kits are an after thought and require considerable fiddling.