Zero Turn shopping. Gravely Pro Turn 48, Ferris IS600Z, Kubota Z411, Hustler Raptor SDX

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by jshillin, Mar 21, 2019.

1. jshillin

jshillin LawnSite Member

Hi guys.

Some background on what's going on. For the last few years I've been using a JD GX345 year around here in PA. In the summer time I mow with a Piranha 44 mulching deck, then in the winter I add my hard cab and snowblower. It's just getting to be a pain switching back and forth and I'm going to dedicate the GX to snow duty.

That leads me to Zero Turn shopping. I've narrowed it down to a few, but need some help guiding me.

. Gravely Pro-Turn 48($5800), Ferris IS600Z($5748), Kubota Z411($6100) and Hustler Raptor SDX($5000). At the moment, that's also the order of preference to me.

My Requirements: I have some obstacles that limit me to a 48" mowing deck. I will be mowing on some fairly steep hills and need ROPS with a good set of hydros.

I'm mowing 2 residential size lawns right now, but will end up with 2 more.

I also like to mulch and the deck's ability to utilize a mulching kit is definitely helpful.

I'm looking for experiences and knowledge that you guys have on these machines to help steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

- Jason

Mownmachine144 likes this.
  2. GBPhillips

GBPhillips LawnSite Member

Just wondering if you can confirm which Gravely you are considering? The current model in that price range would be a Z (Gravely brand motor) or ZX 48 (Kaw motor) I think. The ProTurn 148 is probably more than that, or did you find a ProTurn 48 left over unit from last year?

I'm narrowing in on a Gravely decision myself and have learned the prior year there was an "in between" model that would be called the ProTurn 48/52/60 and it's probably a good value if you find one left over at a dealer. It's still online for specs, but not in their 2019 brochure.

FYI, I looked at Ferris and Gravely but not the others on your list. Like the idea of the Ferris suspension, but I'm going the route of suspension seat instead, feel the benefit will be similar and otherwise like the components better on the G.

Mownmachine144 and jshillin like this.
  3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Steep hills lots of obstacles?
    5,000 budget?
    Commercial walkbehind

4. OP
    OP
    jshillin

jshillin LawnSite Member

It's a Leftover 2018 ProTurn 48 with the Kawasaki motor. My buddy told me about the Ferris today with the suspension, he said that would be his next choice. He really likes the Hustler's and says I would be better off saving a grand and getting the Hustler over the others...

5. OP
    OP
    jshillin

jshillin LawnSite Member

2 Steep hills, but not too many obstacles, just some tight spots that I can only fit a 48" deck into. My budget is $6k and I wouldn't rule out a walk behind, but I haven't looked at any yet.

6. OP
    OP
    jshillin

jshillin LawnSite Member

Also seems that the Snapper 560Z Series 24/52 falls into the same category. I know it's a 52" and I'll have to make some moves to get it to work, but it's priced at $4500. I can't find much info on snapper. Not sure if it's not popular or what.

7. Scottdubya83

Scottdubya83 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central, LA

I’d definitely look at snapper. But I’d look at snapper pro s125xt. You could get this close to you $6k budget, and you’d be getting a commercial grade mower with the ICD deck which is nice.
    They also have the s50xt which would be closer to $5k.
    The snapper pro models are nice for the price.

jshillin likes this.
  8. GBPhillips

The last years Gravely PT 48 sounds intruiging, same heavier duty frame as the current 148 but lower price - is that the “mow the distance” promo price? It may be shorter warranty than the 2019 units - I saw 2 years online I think for the last years pro-turn, so check on that with your dealer. FS or FX series Kawasaki? Compare the specs, front caster size, twin fuel tanks, against the other brands and the price may look pretty good. I looked for a last years model in 52, but no luck near me. Ended up going with the PT 152 with Kohler power.

Good luck...

jshillin likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    jshillin

jshillin LawnSite Member

How do you like it? I know it's the next model above the Pro Cut 48, but should be similar enough. I just looked up the Pro Cut 48 info on-line and it is only showing 2 year warranty, so that's definitely a big negative.

I talked to another dealer yesterday that suggested the Cub Cadet Pro Z 148S with the steering wheel after I told him I mow some pretty steep hills. It pushes me closer to $7k out the door vs $6k out the door though. He said that he could do the Z-FORCE SX 48 KW for that price, but I just don't know if the steering wheel is the right option. I'm going to go test drive one early next week.

10. GBPhillips

Sorry, can't comment on mine, just ordered it and will be in the dealer's next shipment, mid April probably. I drove a few around parking lots, but that's it. I also have a couple decent inclines on my property, I'm just going to be cautious while getting the hang of it. There are some reviews on Gravely site that indicate they hold hills okay, average or better than some others. From what couple friends have told me, it's what's at the bottom of your hill that really matters. It's not likely to be steep enough to turn over, but may slide if you loose traction. If the hill levels out to a flat area of grass, you can take a little risk and see how well it holds and ride it out if you slide. One of my hills is like that, the other one has a stone wall at the bottom, I won't do much experimenting on that hill!

I can't comment directly on the Cubs with a steering wheel. I read about them, but decided that I really didn't want the added complexity of front wheels that turn. I'm sure it would help on hills, but seems like lots of additional moving parts to worry about as the hours rack up.