Zero turn vs Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Tyler Moss, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Tyler Moss

Tyler Moss LawnSite Member
    from Topeka

Looking for advice on how well bigger zero turns are for residential mowing. I've got a 52" stander and I was looking at upgrading to a 61" ZTR next spring to gain a little speed. I'm a first year part timer for now so I've only got 18 lawns now. Alot of my lawns are on the bigger side but nothing huge, I've got a few 2 acre lots. Is it worth upgrading or should I stick with the stander? I'm a little worried about the weight of a ZTR as I've already noticed a few ruts being made from my stander in spots that I cant cross cut it. I plan to take on a few more lawns in the spring and I'm pretty well set on the rest of my equipment so this is the biggest concern for me.

2. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

If the stander is working for you now, and it sounds as if it is, I do not see how the economics of buying a new machine, and one larger than what you currently need, would make any sense. You may grow into a larger machine, and multiple machines, but perhaps the best way to ensure that you do not grow would be to overextend yourself financially.

3. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Bronze Member

Purely personal preference I think. Does standing bother you? Sometimes sitting all day on a ztr DOES bother me.

It sounds like your stander has been a good money maker so far. I'd be tempted to ride that wave until you have no choice.

That being said, I have a 61 Cheetah and a 52 V-ride. That V-ride is very nimble and super efficient and often times he is done with his area on the V-ride before I've completed my work on the ztr (pretty equal acreage I suspect). We have 1 account where we always trade machines, and I gotta say, that stander is a dynamite tool!

If you've been using the stander all season, you're probably pretty good at it, and efficient - which means you're making more money.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    AlohaMowing and Cam15 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Tyler Moss

Tyler Moss LawnSite Member
    from Topeka

I would be getting rid of the stander if I were to get a ZTR. Also I plan on buying a newer stander if I decide to go that route so I'm getting a new mower either way.

Mownmachine144 likes this.
  5. Derwood

Derwood LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotcha. I started typing and then realized you weren't "adding" another machine. I couldn't edit my post fast enough lol!

I'd suggest demoing and see what you think.

6. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I replaced my 61” ztr with a 61” stander. It’s a lot faster. Can turn/maneuver quicker, take rough terrain better, dismount to pick up/move things faster and my back feels way better. A stander weighs less, costs less and takes up less space. Not really a hard decision if efficiency is your goal.

iand, sjessen, The Swamp Fox and 2 others like this.
  7. WGB

WGB LawnSite Member

I did this two years ago and agree mostly, They are very productive machines and hold an advantage over a ztr except on large open areas and may still be slightly ahead there.
    If you have a Ferris dealer take a long look at the Z3X.
    However, as I approach 59 yrs old I am tired of standing so I'm going back to a Z. Have a Simplicity LE 61" on the way (orange ferris 3200)
    I have mostly larger properties, a very good local dealer and figured I would treat myself as this will be the last rider I buy.

Matthews Lawn Care likes this.
  8. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

The Snapper Pro and Ferris are really really close. From what I understand they are practically the same machine with just a few differences(mainly the suspension). If I had a Ferris dealer in town, I’d probably would have went that route but it’s like 30 miles to the nearest Ferris dealer and I have a really good relationship with the Snapper Pro dealer that’s maybe 5 miles from the shop.

I mow several 2-3 acre properties with various terrain. The stander is a little quicker than the ztr was, at least for me anyway. Pretty bumpy properties here, especially the bigger properties.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. WGB

WGB LawnSite Member

The Simplicity LE and Ferris IS3200 are identical other than color and badges, Snapper Pro has some slight changes but all come out of the same plant here in NY I believe.

I have Husqvarna/ Stihl close, use the handhelds, don't care for the mowers. Cub cadet and Kubota- pass. Bobcat , Wright and Grasshopper.

I have bought from these guys since 2001, they treat me pretty fair, by far the best trade allowance on my Z2.

And I agree the stander is quicker almost everywhere, I'm just old and want a comfy ride!

Matthews Lawn Care likes this.
  10. ktoom

ktoom LawnSite Member

I own a Ferris 61" 3200 and a Ferris 52" z2. I got the z2 a year after getting the 3200 and the z2 opened up my eyes to how much better stand on's can be.

I have a local school that I mow. Depending on the weekly growth, I have 2.5-3hrs of mowing. After mowing it for a few years now, lately ive contemplated if a 72" mower would really increase my productivity... i mean we know it will increase productivity, but by how much is the question?

A few weeks ago, my brother in law bought a 72" z3 that was a demo. He went to order a new one, but as we all know they are on back order. Well he let me use it for a weekend and wanted me to make sure everything was good with it and wanted my feedback. I decided to mow the whole entire school with it. It made quick work of the school. I did feel a little fatigued after i was done mowing with it for so long. Part of it was because the platform wasnt setup for my weight. That makes a huge difference. I have the hug field to mow at the school which my quickest time on my 3200 is 50 mins... it took me 48 mins with the z3. I was expecting a bigger difference in times. I mow full stick with the 3200 and i thought i was with the z3? One if these weekend im going to borrow the mower again and compare times again.

Definitely on the bigger areas and steep hills, i prefer the ztr.