Zero turn vs Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Tyler Moss, Sep 4, 2019.

1. rubylawn

rubylawn LawnSite Member

The stander is a good choice I think. I had one of each when I was on my own

Brucey and Cam15 like this.
  2. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Member

What kind of ZTR do you keep comparing your stander to?

Cam15 likes this.
  3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

61” Snapper Pro ztr vs 61” Snapper Pro Stander. Not sure why “what kind” matters but ok. Just for giggles, I demoed a 54” Husqvarna and it was also more efficient(didn’t care for the v554 tho) and that was compared to the 61” ztr. I had(traded the ztr in) an air ride seat on the ztr as well. As a matter of fact, the guy(local lco) who bought my old ztr from the dealer just called me yesterday to tell me he bought it and that it was faster than his 61” ztr’s.

4. WGB

WGB LawnSite Member

Efficient is a relative term, there are places a wb would be more efficient than a Z or stander.
    I traded my Z2 / 61" FX801v last Monday for a Simplicity Limited Edition ( Ferris 3200) 37 hp Vanguard EFI W/oilguard, full suspension and suspension seat.
    I lost a little trim because the frame is larger and the 26x12x12 tires.
    Fuel usage is similar.

It is a tad slower on smaller properties (3/4 ac or less) about equal in time on medium 3/4 to 1 1/2ac and faster on the larger stuff.

It's smoother, faster, cuts cleaner, is more comfortable and for me less fatigue.

The 37 HP makes a difference and the suspension makes a difference. I think Standers have a place but it really depends on many factors to determine what will work best in a given situation.

ARN Greencare and ktoom like this.
  5. Matthews Lawn Care

I duuno bout that, I have lawns from 5k sq ft up to 3 acres. I run a 36” and a 61”. Sure the 36” is faster on those little 5k sq ft lawns but that’s what it’s built for, as where the 36” would take forever on a 3 acre lawn. Right tools for the right job makes all the difference in efficiency. I’ll assure you tho, a stander is more efficient than a ztr when comparing machines with the same size decks.

Now, when/if I’m still cutting grass when I’m 60, I’ll more than likely not want to stand for 1 1/2 hrs to cut a lawn and then have to trim and blow it off too. Efficiency will most definitely take a back seat to comfort at that point. That’s when I’ll be swooping up a full suspension machine if we aren’t riding hover mowers by then.

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Currently in my 69th orbit around the sun and I still prefer a stander over a z. But that is on my properties. If I was cutting those such as you have I might be singing a different tune.

Given the choice of sore knees or a sore back I am opting for sore knees.

Obviously, this won't work for everyone.

Matthews Lawn Care likes this.
  7. WGB

WGB LawnSite Member

Again, it depends. On smaller stuff that has a lot of finesse work a stander will have an advantage, on larger more open properties a Z like my LE will be faster. proved it this morning on a 3 ac, house/garage, 22 trees, small gazebo and 2 larger planters. LE was 5 minutes quicker 1st time out plus I felt like trimming when I got done mowing.
    My next 2 were .4 and .5 ac Z was a couple minutes slower on each. Not a big deal at all.

The difference isn't dramatic by any means and I don't think it would make or break it weather you have a Z or stander, depends more on type of property and personal preference and how well the machine does.

Truthfully, people are usually so inefficient in mowing patterns, trimming patterns and techniques that no type of mower will fix it! (youtube for reference videos)

8. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

Honestly I have trouble believing one is any more efficient over the other. When you break it down, they are identical drives, decks, etc. Sit vs stand is the only difference. How does that translate into more productivity?

ARN Greencare likes this.
  9. Matthews Lawn Care

A 61” cut is a 61” cut. A stander has a smaller footprint allowing it to turn/maneuver quicker. How you going to tell me a 61” ztr is more efficient on a 3 acre property than a stander when my personal lawn is 3 acres, has 63 trees and 4 electric poles. Took me 3.5 hrs to mow, trim, blow using my 61” ztr. Takes me 2.75 hrs to mow, trim, blow using a 61” stander. Care to provide a logical explanation?

We’re not talking mowing patterns, or youtube references, we’re talking real life comparisons - not assumptions about efficiency of a ztr vs stander of the same size.

10. Matthews Lawn Care

Go demo a stander and see how much faster you can turn, hop off/on, handle bumps, etc.

Oh can you do a true “0 turn” on a ztr without tearing the turf? Nope. Can you on a stander? Yep.

douglee25 likes this.