zone 6-7 Perrenial flowering ground cover choices?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by roody2333, Oct 17, 2015.

1. roody2333

roody2333 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nj

Have a few yards set on perennial ground cover for next spring. Buying seeds off ebay cheap and starting indoors over winter - much cheaper than from nursery and they probably won't even carry it anyway. Tilling the whole yard and planting a very small portion of grass so it doesn't look tacky with only ground cover. Some places are illegal to actually not have a certain amount of turf grass but not in this case but still going to plant a section of grass.

I haven't researched ground covers much yet. I did just find this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGsNI2LC22U

which pretty much explains most of it. I was wondering if I should till it or just dig holes (and maybe heavily dethatch first so groudn cover can pop up easier) and put the starter plants into the existing yards which are just weed lawns. Looks like I just till it. Video shows mulching to keep the weeds down which will come back strong in Spring if not mulched, I wasn't sure if mulch would prevent the spreading of the groundcover.

Homeowners wants low or no maintenance, no watering or fertilizing except to get it established which most of the perennial ground covers are stated to do, and are also deer resistant and can grow in dense shade or in drought (only in zone 6-7 but still get drought in summer). If it has to be weedwacked once or twice a year to control height and edges, that's fine.

Don't want to hear naysayers how it's not going to work or anything. It will work.
    Question though. which type should I plant if anyone has experience with this? Preferably want to do something flowering, multi colored, fragrant, basically the opposite of ivy but if ivy is the easiest, then that will do. I am wondering though, if these covers spread so rapidly as they are noted to do, how are they low/no maintenance? Won't they grow over the sidewalk etc? Also which types grow with rhizomes/stolons? In others words, are the one that spread quickly and densely the kind that grow underground and will invade the neighbors' lawns? If so can't I just dig a trench at the property line and fill it with concrete? Would about 10" be deep enough? If it's flowering cover, when the thousands of flowers go to seed, they blow onto neighbors' lawns and invade and thus I should go with something non-flowering? Would like to do more than just one variety also if possible a few suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015