Zoyia maintenance?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, Jun 7, 2018.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer with a nice green zoyia lawn. He told me that it should be cut every 10 days because a golf course zoyia pro told him. I cut it every week now and it looks great. Give me the info on this grass .thanks guys

2. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he stopped the cart girl too many times & by the time he TT the pro his memory was intoxicated which led to his misunderstanding of the conversation.

hort101 likes this.
  3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

every week is better but it doesn't matter on zoysia. you could wait 2 weeks and be fine because it grows so slowly. i have one i do about every 10-14 days. i mow it at 2.5" in the spring then 2 3/4" right now and then up to 3" during the summer heat. i move it back down to 2.5" in the fall.

4. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Gold Member

It's zoysia. I have it here in N.Y. and my lawn still isn't 100% green. June-October it looks it's best, otherwise it looks like straw.

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Platinum Member

Depends on what you're mowing at. If you keep it high, then 10 days is fine. If you're mowing it at the recommended height unlike everyone else in orlando, you'll be billing for a mess at 10 days.

hort101 likes this.
  6. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Here in the northeast I’ve droped and lost a few zoysia accounts, and I couldn’t be happier. It thicker than a rug here, roots are deep, you could nearly scalp it in the growing season and it still comes in heavy. Beat the tar off any of my mowers at the time. Do not miss it. Had one today and I had the deck set at 7 inches and still chugging

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you shouldn't mow it short unless you use a reel mower. using a rotary blade mower 2.5"-3" is where you should mow it at.

8. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd say you're correct, but add, I don't think you will find reels around here on zoysia lawn too often.

hort101 likes this.
  9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

There is no one size fits all answer. Different environments, inputs and expectations & etc.

hort101 and Sam in Tampa like this.
  10. dkflipse

dkflipse LawnSite Member

I stopped at a house the other day. Huge mansion with good loking zoysia at golf course height. Gardner says he's mowing twice weekly in the summer!

BrandonV and hort101 like this.