Zoysia club roots?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by c-bass, Mar 27, 2018.

1. c-bass

c-bass LawnSite Member

BD95BE83-96CF-4AF7-B293-68B36A2839EB.jpeg 6B616899-9244-4545-8381-A77038CF06E9.jpeg 3179D218-1BED-44F6-9335-0BC105402B4B.jpeg 5A3B84D7-BEA4-44AF-96A6-8713901CD984.jpeg 558DAEB2-EB8A-4282-973C-0CC98094CF36.jpeg i was bidding a zoysia Lawn the other day and ran across this.
    The dead area started last summer and progressed. I am pretty certain it was cinch bugs by the looks of it, and his description of how it progresses. But wondering about the stunted/club roots? Would they be caused by a pre emergent earlier in spring, or a herbicide applied during or after cinch bug damage occurred?

More interested in the club/stunted roots than the large dead area.
    I have seen it before in lawns with no apparent pests but obvious fungal issues. Wondering if the herbicide damage is expressed more when other factors are at play.

2. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Fanatic
    from nc

Any pre applied? Could have root pruned and not repaired well?

Looks really wet and grows from the down spout? Disease?

Tough to tell in the winter.

3. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

What you are seeing is also a symptom of strong nematode activity. That's what I detect from the pic's.

hort101 likes this.
  4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Kind of looks like the shape of a fairy ring from the pics, maybe.

101, list symptoms of nematode damage if you don't mind.

5. turfmd101

Anchor roots will be mostly puffy & swollen.
    Like regular spaghetti vs angel hair spaghetti thickness. Anchor roots will have sporadic & minimal hairy feeder roots developing on them. A high population of the anchor roots will have no feeder roots on them at all. Looks like insect activity with no insect present. Stunted growth & unresponsive to fertility. No uniformity in the root structure. Root pruning pre-m's too heavealy applied generally won't produce long anchor roots & the roots will be puffy on the tip ends, not the entire lengths of the anchor roots. Heavy nematode activity will cause enough stress for foliar fungi leasions coupled with minimal cultural & environmental factors driving favorable fungi conditions.
    Areas worsen with nitrogen applications. Nitrogen aids in nematode present activity.

hort101 likes this.
  6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Failure to respond to Nitrogen in absence of confounding factors such as salinity and/or pH is diagnostic for me. So is wilting in spite of adequate soil moisture. Another is weeds taking over the area. Heavy usage of preemergent will mask the tendency for weeds to take over but will encourage large areas to become dirt. The weeds I see taking over in high nematode soils include Crabgrass, Goosegrass, Prostrate Spurge, Nutsedge, and Kyllinga species. Normally, Zoysia develops such a dense root system that weeds are incapable of establishing.

I attended a seminar on nematodes in golf turf 2 months ago. The takeaway point from that seminar was that nematode assays done on soils mostly find live nematodes in the process of attacking roots. They are not as good at finding nematodes when they have already caused severe damage because nematodes need a live host. Dead grass is not a good host. If that were mine to deal with, I would be treating it with Fluopyram when conditions are ideal for growth of the Zoysia to resume.

This is becoming an issue due to Diazinon being illegal for turf application for the last 18 years. I noticed it in Hawaii. Tifdwarf, Tifgreen and Tifway 419 are very hard to keep here. Empire and El Toro Zoysia is also hard to keep here. In some lawns the Zoysia is very vigorous and requires usage of PGRs to make them maintainable. In other lawns, they are fragile and prone to dying off.

hort101 likes this.
  7. turfmd101

Glad you said that. That symptom is synonyms with root rot also. Often root rot & nematode are mixed together causing this dominate symptom. Easy to miss diagnose which one is forefront. Most won't think about nematode first. But will apply expensive fungicides a couple of times with little effect. Then dig for insect activity. Then apply insecticide. All the while nematode's have left evidence.

hort101 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    c-bass

c-bass LawnSite Member

Thanks. I did suspect nematodes, but last year I had sent a sample from a different property to Mississippi state diagnostic lab, per the county agent citing herbicide damage. I do not know the history of the Lawn.

My challenge to nemotodes is the consistency of the affected area. Do nematode symptoms not appear more sporadic? Though there is the same club root in the front lawn with sporadic patterns, the back is one larger continuous area.

9. OP
    OP
    c-bass

c-bass LawnSite Member

Also, does anyone have pictures of confirmed nematode damage in a residential turf? Or at least not mown like a green.
    What criteria do you base having an assay done vs just applying a corrective measure?

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

Probably cost.
    Here in Arkansas, we can take samples to be tested to our Extension Office and they send it off to the U of A and for $10.00 you can find out. I have a specific neighborhood that several houses in the neighborhood had problems with nematodes. When I was dealing with the one I was dealing with, I was told that for the most part, nematicides had been taken off the market due to there toxicity to the environment. I researched it and farmers plant mustard greens to keep nematode populations low. Unfortunately, I can't plant mustard greens in my lawns. It was suggested to go easy on fert, use organic blends if possible and aerate. I could not find ground mustard greens or seeds to spread so I aerated the ever loving piss out of the lawn and used organic ferts sparingly and believe it or not, the problem went away. These were stinging nematodes with a threshold count at around 600. I'm sure the product Greendoctor speaks of has a fairly high cost...just guessing though.

hort101 likes this.