Zoysia fertilizer

OP
M

Mr.Roberts

LawnSite Member
We use a 21-0-21 at about that time, well end of July with good results at 200# per acre. 50% slow release N 3% Fe.

Problem now is no rain. They looked great through most of August. The non irrigation lawns look terrible.
North Georgia has been very dry since May. Irritated lawns definitely look better than non irrigated. The iron sucrate helped with most of the dry spells since we get lots of humidity and morning dew in July and August. That moisture really helps the iron and slow release.
September however is almost always dry here. Low humidity. If we were to get a couple days of rain right now, our warm season turf would be peaking late in late September vs late August.
That happened in 2016 as well. No rain. Kept pounding the fertilizer all summer. About September 25th, it started raining every other day for two weeks. The turf popped dark lush green end of September early October.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I recently saw some information that claimed that granular iron (even sucrate) was too insoluble to be absorbed by the roots. Ask the salesman for data.

From Penn State:
"The most common forms of iron fertilizer for turfgrasses are inorganic iron salts and organic iron chelates (chelated iron) (Table 8). An inorganic iron salt is a water-soluble form of iron that contains iron or iron and ammonium paired with sulfate (e.g., ferrous sulfate, ferric sulfate, or ferrous ammonium sulfate). Since turfgrasses can absorb iron from these products through foliage, the products are typically applied as foliar sprays. In soil applications, much of the iron from inorganic sources is converted to insoluble iron hydroxides, iron phosphates, or iron carbonates--compounds that are unavailable to turfgrasses."

https://extension.psu.edu/turfgrass-fertilization-a-basic-guide-for-professional-turfgrass-managers

Last edited:
OP
M

Mr.Roberts

LawnSite Member
It’s worked for me. Ferrous foliar is gone within 2 weeks. Oxide stains, as can the ferrous.
Never had an issue with sucrate staining, even at 6%.
Site one, Ewing, southern states have iron with some of their granular fertilizers, but they don’t have sucrate form.
I’ve used the sucrate alternately for 7 years now. Always end up going right back to it.