Zoysia plugs?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Kleen Kutz, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Kleen Kutz

Kleen Kutz LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ama,La

I have a customer that have about 1500-2500 plugs of Zoysia grass to install. I already know the process on installing these plugs. I'll have about 3-4 workers on job site. The ground will be all new dirt with no grass at all.

My question is how long do you think it'll take to install 1500-2500 Zoysia plugs?

Thanks in advance!

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

I've never done plugs so I can't really say. But I've played with the idea so I thought I'd give you my idea. If I did do it I think a battery powered drill with a side handle and a auger bit that is used for planting bulbs would be a fast way to do this.

3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Fanatic
    from nc

By new ground do you mean soft tilled soil? If so you could drop the plug and step on it most likely.

If hard how will you be I stalling the plugs? Have a plugger?

I have a plugger tool that I step on and it removes a core and I can move plugs from thick spots to thin spots. I can move a lot at a pretty fast pace. Maybe 10 plugs per 2-3 minutes?

Just make sure they are watered frequently.

4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Did you take a soil test to make sure the Ph will be correct for the plantings?. If yes than good for you, if no don't plant until you know for sure. Having the proper ph for your soil in the first place is important enough.
    Adding soil amends before the planting of any material is priceless, provides a better chance of success and survival. I have used a 1/2" power drill and a small hurricane anchor for planting plugs here in SW Florida I can plug a large wheel barrel load of cut plugs in and hour by my self. I have also done 50 trays in 8 hours
    That amount of plugs covered 5K spaced 24" OC. Flortam sod.

easy-lift guy

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015